Isle of Wight Randonee anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Dave Davenport said:
Was having a lovey ride 'till my back rim disintergrated just as I got to the top of the climb at Blackgang, lucky it didn't last another 200 yards or I'd have been doing 40mph not 10.

Grim luck. I managed to get myself a p*****e about a mile from the finish (Ward Ave, just after the cruel climb from the seafront) that blew the tyre right off the rim. And then it started to rain.

Despite that, I had the same sort of thought about being glad it happened going up rather than down.

Thanks to the people who offered help and apologies to the couple waiting to cross the road who nearly sh1t themselves as my inner tube let go right next to them.

Bollo said:
Unfortunately I may have done, but I believe the gentleman in question was on a 'bent, not a tandem, just before crossing the A3056 at Branstone.

If there were a pair of recumbent trikes, one silver and one orange - then that was me that was!

The silver one was mine - the orange would simply clash with the beard!

Before40

My first post here! Hi All! -
This was my First "Official" 100KM ride, enjoyed it a lot, still recovering a bit.
My total mileage for the day = 81 due to the 'Short' ride to the Ferry before & then home again afterwards.
Managed to ride all the long widing hills that seemed to go on & on, but had to walk two of the short & very steep ones (Note to self - get that gearing sorted!).
Friendly faces all around, no saddle rage, no nasty incidents from what i could see, all well organised, & just a few suspect signage issues?
Total time on the saddle = 5 hrs 30 mins for the total 81 miles. Not sure how that measures up against the usual average for this type of event? - It's a ride, not a race after all!
I did say to myself "Never Again" at the half way point, & also said that last year after finsihing London To Brighton!
Something inside me just needs to complete a 100 Mile Run..............

Angus

IOW Randonee 08
Had a really great, but grueling IOW ride. Mainly due to the fact that my brother and a good friend of mine decided to attempt the route twice consecutively on the same day. We set off from Yarmouth with the bit between our teeth and the first 100km went well. I think we were all secretly wondering what we where doing setting off again after a quick refuel of energy drinks and solids. By the time we got to Cowes again we where all at different states of mind. I felt great at this stage, my brother was having doubts with his mind playing games with him about if he should carry on and the other guy we cycled with was just contemplating doing his first century. After a clearer run on the next few stages we made reasonable time with a slight hitch with my brothers rear mech. Knowing we had limited time to get from Whitwell to our final resting place yarmouth ( I use the wording resting place quite literary) before the closing time of 6pm we had to put on a real spurt averaging over 25mph along the coast road. With 10mins to spare we reached Yarmouth and where we were welcomed by my sister, brother in law, younger brother and father of 77years old who had just also competed the event that day. With over 200km under the belt that day I think we all felt pretty proud of our efforts. Not sure if it will be just one circuit or two next year, but one thing I do know, I'll be there at the start line again. It's a fantastic place to cycle and a pretty technical route. Anyone looking for a challenging 100km in 09 should really think about this one.

Angus

Zoom

Über Member
Another great IOW; this ride is rapidly becoming my favourite spot in the calendar; I take back all I've said before about it being easier clockwise, it's just different.

I did get the Ryde ferry but started at Kite Hill which worked better than Bembridge. A slow ride despite absolutely flying along at 34kph for some of it but who's counting?

Might have to give 2009 a miss as it clashes with the Severn Across 400 which is another favourite of mine.

Top Bottom