Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Blackgang was a bastarding bastard of a climb

it wasnt that tough guys...Johnnyh & I cruised up it....icecream van at top full of fat leathered up motorbike gangs....and then the downhill from there....great views.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
2000+. Good numbers.

There was plenty of tea at Bembridge when I pulled in. I may have downed a few cups.;)

Nice write-up Ben. I think I passed you somewhere between Blackgang and Ventor. Its a pity there wasn't some way of identifying all the CC peoples on the ride as it would have been good to say hiya.

laserjet9

A very grand day out.

I first rode this circuit a couple of years ago but clockwise in september. I had a great day and got around in a time of 4hrs 14, and 4hrs02 on the road, 5 minutes shy of my best. I didn't mind blackgang and freshwater but all those hills into wooton bridge were sapping. Chain ferry was fine, i rolled round the corner just as all the hubub was finishing and was the last person on so only waited 30 secs. Guy with the beard, have a shave, well done one and all and see you all next year.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Bollo, the investigation team for the Public Enquiry will be in touch with you to find out exactly how many cups you drank.

Laserjet, are you sure the 'jet' part of your name doesn't refer to an accessory you fitted to your bike to achieve that amazing time?

To be fair to the guy on the chain-link ferry, he was a bit annoyed to start with as he wanted to do the ride but had to work. He was on duty when I came across at 08:40-ish and still on duty when the Wooton gang gave me a lift back at 10pm-ish!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ben Lovejoy said:
Bollo, the investigation team for the Public Enquiry will be in touch with you to find out exactly how many cups you drank.
In both competition and out-of-competition testing, I have never had levels of tea, coffee or cup o'soup above the permitted CC limits!
Ben Lovejoy said:
To be fair to the guy on the chain-link ferry, he was a bit annoyed to start with as he wanted to do the ride but had to work. He was on duty when I came across at 08:40-ish and still on duty when the Wooton gang gave me a lift back at 10pm-ish!
I think he was annoyed that some of us didn't have mudguards and a triple.

johnnyh

Veteran
Quote:

BigonaBianchi said:
it wasnt that tough guys...Johnnyh & I cruised up it....icecream van at top full of fat leathered up motorbike gangs....and then the downhill from there....great views.

yeah it wasn't too bad, and I had spent the previous evening in the A&E at Newport... that esplanade from the Ryde speedcat is not bike friendly, front wheel got caught between two boards and I took a flying lesson with my face, wrists and elbow taking the impact at landing - offset by my helmet.

Thanks to the great staff at the hospital for getting me sorted, off to get the jaw and teeth looked at tomorrow.

Great day out though, looking forward to another go next year - but without the concussion headache to accompany it ;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
johnnyh said:
Quote:

yeah it wasn't too bad, and I had spent the previous evening in the A&E at Newport... that esplanade from the Ryde speedcat is not bike friendly, front wheel got caught between two boards and I took a flying lesson with my face, wrists and elbow taking the impact at landing - offset by my helmet.

Thanks to the great staff at the hospital for getting me sorted, off to get the jaw and teeth looked at tomorrow.

Great day out though, looking forward to another go next year - but without the concussion headache to accompany it ;)

Ryde Pier is indeed a bit dodgy for cyclists- took the cat last year, but apart from going the wrong way and ending up starting at Bembridge, tiptoeing over the pier (even with 40mm tyres) twice was another reason I decided the car ferry was the best option. And it was- much less bother, 25 minutes longer crossing outweighed by the considerable advantages.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I learnt the hard way a few years back when i came a cropper on the pier to the esplanade. I was trying to weave my way down the pier to miss the gaps when my 25mm tyres got trapped in the gap. A fairly low speed crash and fortunately do damage to the front wheel. I have walked along the pier since. I managed to top 41, (41.6) mph down the road on the other side of the cliff from freshwater, very exhilarating. I also managed to get one of the last cups of tea at Bembridge. It went down a treat with a couple of bits of cake that were left.

Bollo said:
In both competition and out-of-competition testing, I have never had levels of tea, coffee or cup o'soup above the permitted CC limits!

I think he was annoyed that some of us didn't have mudguards and a triple.

...and there was also someone with a..............

SINGLE PANNIER!

montage

God Almighty
:biggrin: saw that long post and spent ages waiting for a photo to load.

Damn you Cunobelin!
I may pop over to the IoW sometime this summer for a few hilly rides.... hmmm....possible CC ride....watch this space

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I saw the single-pannier lady near the start, but there was no sign of her later, so I assume she was arrested by the CC police.

Top Bottom