Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Was a great ride. If bastard hilly. And yes, Blackgang was the biggest, nastiest bastard of them all. I set my facebook status at the top to: Ben Lovejoy has just cycled up a bastarding bastard of a bastard hill and wishes to observe that it was a real bastard.

We had four trikes for most of the lap (Donald, Darren, Gary and myself) with Paul on his Catrike joining us for some of it.

Full trip report will be online by tomorrow.

Ben

THese rides always benefit form a good weather forecast.

The figures from Wootton were I beleive approaching the 700 mark for the 100 km Randonnee alone, not counting those on the 55k - so I suspect we are looking at more than last years 1600

PaulM

Guru
Pretty shade of pink

[FONT=&quot] I started the ride at 9:10 and completed it at 5:55. Maximum speed of 41mph on Brook Down, moving average of 10.3 mph. Did you see the 4 ICE trikes? I just caught them up. Also saw a Speed Machine, a Grasshopper and a Pedersen. Lots of tandems too.

I neglected to apply sunblock so am now a pretty shade of pink.

I was lucky with the chain ferry.

The queues for tickets for the ferry at Portsmouth were the biggest I've seen. Fortunately I was able to get mine from someone who had a couple spare.
[/FONT]

smokie36

smokie36 said:
Mind you I did (just) manage to cycle up cheddar gorge yesterday so it can't be as bad as that. Can it?

It can, and it was... I never want to hear the words Blackgang Chine again as long as I live...:ohmy: I've haven't been that pleased to see an Ice Cream van since I was six...

We got started about 10.30 from Wooton and didn't really have any problems on the chain link - they just piled on as many bikes as would fit. Eventually staggered back to the start point at 6.30ish - just got my card stamped before they closed for the night.

But I made it. And to be honest 4 weeks ago I didn't think I would so today I'm going to have a couple of beers and feel pleased with myself...;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
smokie36 said:
It can, and it was... I never want to hear the words Blackgang Chine again as long as I live...:ohmy: I've haven't been that pleased to see an Ice Cream van since I was six...

We got started about 10.30 from Wooton and didn't really have any problems on the chain link - they just piled on as many bikes as would fit. Eventually staggered back to the start point at 6.30ish - just got my card stamped before they closed for the night.

But I made it. And to be honest 4 weeks ago I didn't think I would so today I'm going to have a couple of beers and feel pleased with myself...;)

Hand on heart, I don't think Blackgang was that bad- bad, yes, but worse for me were all those deceptively easy looking stretches that turned out to be anything but. The pain for me came from sunburn (I'm thoroughly regretting I forgot the sunblock). I was expecting to have real trouble climbing, but I think I just got into the knack of dropping down gears (and making I had the right hub gear setting!) early enough. Kept the pace steady, that did the trick. That, and making sure I refuelled and rehydrated. I didn't go for an ice cream, but I was sure glad of the break though.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
StuAff said:
Hand on heart, I don't think Blackgang was that bad- bad, yes, but worse for me were all those deceptively easy looking stretches that turned out to be anything but. The pain for me came from sunburn (I'm thoroughly regretting I forgot the sunblock). I was expecting to have real trouble climbing, but I think I just got into the knack of dropping down gears (and making I had the right hub gear setting!) early enough. Kept the pace steady, that did the trick. That, and making sure I refuelled and rehydrated. I didn't go for an ice cream, but I was sure glad of the break though.

Aye, I always find the twiddly hills around Bembridge and Wootton harder than the big climbs along the south of the Island. My local terrain isn't that different from the IoW (like montage said, the IoW feels like and extension of the South Downs) so I guess that helps desensitise the legs.

I got vicious sunburn last year even though it was fairly cloudy, so I came prepared with some white paint this year.

:bravo:to the Wayfarers for organising the ride.
:bravo:to my mate Jim who chose this as his first ever 100km ride. Pain, thy name is Jim.:smile:

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

StuAFF, I have checked the Official Records and they state that Blackgang was a bastarding bastard of a climb.

But yes, the deceptive bits that looked downhill but weren't have also earned their own special place on my list of Places That Will Be Dealt With Come The Glorious Day.

StuAff

Ben Lovejoy said:
StuAFF, I have checked the Official Records and they state that Blackgang was a bastarding bastard of a climb.

But yes, the deceptive bits that looked downhill but weren't have also earned their own special place on my list of Places That Will Be Dealt With Come The Glorious Day.
I'm not disagreeing- when you expect it to be nasty, at least you're prepared for it....!

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I had a great day and loved every minute of it.
As an ex-islander I am really sorry that some riders didn't feel welcome. I myself didn't experience any grief, although did get buzzed by a group on their chunky motorbikes (I just shrug and put it down to jealousy!).

I thought the route was great, weather great, check points well sorted.

And, I agree, the hairy fella on the chain ferry was a little bit unhappy..;)
I was in the group from East Cowes (around 10.30ish) where he started to get a little grumpy and was insisting on letting cars on first, leaving a load of us behind. Still it was funny when the (mad) rider jumped for it as the ramp was lifting (to great cheers!!).

All in all, a fantastic day and look forward to many more.

(ps I have NEVER swallowed quite so many flies:blush::biggrin:)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was also at the ferry from 10.00. There was some woman shouting at us all to move out of the way as the cars would not be able to get off the ferry, even though there was a BMW sitting at the top of the slipway blocking the way. A bit of cycle power/anarchy seemed to win the day with the hairy one in charge of the ferry.;) Yet again another good day on the IOW.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

No complaints here at all (apart from those hills!). Everyone I encountered was friendly (even some of the chain-gangs said 'Good morning' as they passed!), the weather couldn't have been better, the checkpoints were really well organised (apart from The Great Tea Disaster of 2009 at Bembridge, an episode that will chill the soul for many a year) and the company was ok too. :-)

Just recieved this:

Well done to all of you who took part in the 25th Randonnee on Sunday 3rd May 2009.

2156 cyclists took part this year, up from 1644 in 2008 which was great to see. Of the 2156 riders, 1851 took part in the 100km ride and 305 in the 55km ride.

Many Thanks also to everyone who made a donation on the day at the checkpoints - it really makes a difference and helps us keep the event going in its current form.

We will be posting up photos of the event on the website under the 2009 Gallery. If you took any photos on the day and would like the chance to get them included, please send them to john (at)cycleisland.co.uk

We would also be interested in hearing about any fund raising activities that the Randonnee has indirectly helped contribute to. We have setup a charity page on the website with details of the Charities people have raised money for on the day and the amounts - if you would like to be included on this page (or have links to your own fund raising site), please e-mail the details to the same address as above.

See you next year!

The Randonnee Team

Probably explains the Great Tea Disaster..... !

StuAff

Ben Lovejoy said:
No complaints here at all (apart from those hills!). Everyone I encountered was friendly (even some of the chain-gangs said 'Good morning' as they passed!), the weather couldn't have been better, the checkpoints were really well organised (apart from The Great Tea Disaster of 2009 at Bembridge, an episode that will chill the soul for many a year) and the company was ok too. :-)

Last year at Bembridge (admittedly in the morning) I had a really nice bit (well, slab really :wub: ) of bread pudding, was somewhat disappointed with paucity of cakes remaining when I got there. And indeed, lack of tea (not British!) All the Speedy Gonzales types must have cleaned them out....

StuAff

Ben Lovejoy said:

Aah....We did meet after all! Didn't see any trikes around at East Cowes, but you guys were at Yarmouth when I arrived there (should have said hello then..). I was the guy who took that group shot at Blackgang! Paul was in the ferry queue, think he bought his ticket from the same chap as me.

Top Bottom