Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Before40

Confused

:sun:
Last year was Clockwise, so pretty straightforward off the Sot'on ferry and GO!.
But what happens with this year Anti-clockwise route and the little chain ferry from East Cowes? - Is the first check-point at Yarmouth after the Chain Ferry, & East cowes the last.
Does the Chain Ferry get crowded at 09:00hrs?

Can't wait!

johnnyh

Veteran
heading over tonight, so will be getting up, having a good breakfast and heading for the closest check point to Ryde.

Looks like the weather is going to be good, just hope the winds are kind

PaulM

Guru
On my Catrike Speed

Cunobelin said:
I will be on the 08:00 ferry, a good social usually meet a few fgrom this and other sites.

I will be on a black Thorn Nomad, as the Trike is still off the road.

Although there will be a delay as my wife is still deciding whether she is coming along (55k) or not (100k) - as a result I will be in the long queue at Wootton.

I'll be on the 08:00 Ferry too with my orange Catrike Speed. I didn't pre-register in time though, so I'll have to either join the queue at Wootton or, if it's really long, press on and register at a later check point so at least I will be counted in the official figures as doing it.

PaulM

Guru
Catch you at Yarmouth?

Ben Lovejoy said:
Cool - the plan is to meet on the Cowes side of the chain-link ferry at around 08:45-9:00.

The trikes can claim to be waiting for the folders up the hills, and vice-versa. :-)

Ben,

I'll be on the 8am ferry from Portsmouth. Don't know how long it will take to register at Wootton (might not bother there and save some time though), so will probably be somewhat after 9:00 by the time I reach the chain link ferry. If so, will hopefully catch you at the Yarmouth coffee/cake stop. It would be good to have a peloton of trikes. I shall be on my Orange Catrike Speed.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Donald & co aren't sure what time registration opens at Wooton anyway, so they might not be able to register until 9. I'll PM you my mobile.

Ben Lovejoy said:
What's up with the trike?

The Nomad could blend in a bit more!

I had a small incident with a large pothole and buckled a wheel. At any speed there is a noticable wobble. It would not be safe on the lower reaches of the Island

I am awaiting new wheels from the States which have not arrived in time

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

That's a pain :-(

Speaking of which, I am now at my guesthouse on the Isle of Wight and those bastards at the tourist authority lied to me: the hills are still here! :biggrin:

I got into lowest gear just getting from the chain-link ferry to my guest-house, half a mile away. I'm wondering whether I could get a note from my mum.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Ben Lovejoy said:
I'm wondering whether I could get a note from my mum.

:biggrin::laugh::biggrin:
Brilliant

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ben Lovejoy said:
That's a pain :-(

Speaking of which, I am now at my guesthouse on the Isle of Wight and those bastards at the tourist authority lied to me: the hills are still here! :rolleyes:

I got into lowest gear just getting from the chain-link ferry to my guest-house, half a mile away. I'm wondering whether I could get a note from my mum.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I did the 55k route last year (first time & didn't think I'd be up to the whole thing- actually did 59 miles for various reasons) and spent every climb wheezing and/or cursing (not too loudly I hope...). And I am and was (a) younger and (:biggrin: on a lighter bike. I must be in better shape this time around, but I certainly don't expect to climb well.........
Anyway, low gears are supposed to be better for your knees! I wish sticking DualDrive on the Jetstream didn't add over a kilo in weight, but the 22" low gear proves its worth on stuff like that.....And the downhill mode's handy on the other side :smile:

PaulM

Guru
Hmmm, trike now on top of the car. I have a slightly sore throat - is this swine flu? I phoned NHS direct and all I got was crackling. When I did get through they asked me if I was coming out in a little rasher ...

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

dEar miSteR RanndoNee

bEn canOt do thE ryDe beCoz hE haS goT sWyne fEva

SynEd bEns mUm

(Waddya think - will it work?)

We could see the entire Island being quarantined and we will all be stuck as the Feries are cancelled and the Royal Navy patrols a cordon around the Coast!

Mind you the hills on the South are a bit of a Swine!

Top Bottom