Isle of Wight Randonee, Sun 3rd May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Oh, forgot to say: trike no problem on the train. The bike compartment is pretty decent, with provision for three bikes. The trike did take up all three spaces (though I suspect we'd have bodged another bike in there too, had the need arisen), but fortunately there were no other bikes on board.

The train manager was very friendly and made a point of checking I was off the train ok at Southampton before the train continued its journey to Weymouth.

montage

God Almighty
How was it?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Before40 said:
Hot, the hills have got steeper, and the other cyclists faster!

Great day though, and made it back just in time for the 2.30 ferry.

2.30...blimey! Did you have a big plate of spinach for breakfast? I was setting myself the target of making it back to Kite Hill by 5.00, which I probably would have done but my old 'friend' the chain drop fairy returned with a vengeance. Again, and again..lost count. Nonetheless, I was back there before 5.30, and this was with all those enforced breaks, a leisurely and deserved lunch at Blackgang at 1.30 or so (saw a few trikes there- any of you lot?), elevenses at Yarmouth, and generally trying not to kill myself. I was (pleasantly) surprised by my hill climbing ability- admittedly aided by a 22" bottom ratio, but the only one that I couldn't ride up was the blighter at Freshwater (my excuse is I didn't have any kind of run up due to the sharp turn). Apart from aforementioned problem, Mr Jetstream performed admirably. It poured scorn on the towpath at Yarmouth where few roadies dared to tread (they were asking for a way round it!). There was one patronising so-and-so roadie who said 'good effort' as he went past (that's how it came across)- small wheels, so what? No many folders- I seemed to have the only Dahon, a singular Birdy, at least one Brommie, couple of Airnimals, and a rather nice Bike Friday.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
montage said:
How was it?
+
Decent weather and the wind helped a bit for once. Nice cake ladies at the schools.
-
Too much traffic, including a motorbike rally that I could have lived without. Did see my first MR2/Motortrike conversion though.:tongue::ohmy:

Double -
Anyone else cross the pilot of the chain-bridge at Cowes off their Christmas card list?

StuAff

Bollo said:
+
Decent weather and the wind helped a bit for once. Nice cake ladies at the schools.
-
Too much traffic, including a motorbike rally that I could have lived without. Did see my first MR2/Motortrike conversion though.:tongue::ohmy:

Double -
Anyone else cross the pilot of the chain-bridge at Cowes off their Christmas card list?

Were you there just after nine? Me and a few others got left on the slipway when they decided it was full. Well, problem was the four-wheeled things...:wacko:

Ferry was fun!

As Background there were a "few" cyclists waiting for the Ferry. for some reason the cars were let through as aooposed to a "first come first serve" and a token number allowed on around the cars.

An American Lady led a revolt by offering to pay, and was told she couldn't. When about 200 cyclists tried to board there was a threat to close the service, which was then hastily revised as there were no cars anyway (only because someone had stopped them round the corner out of the operator's sight!

Imagine this lot getting across ten or twelve at a time!

.. and note the second wave still waiting!

P5032010.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
StuAff said:
Were you there just after nine? Me and a few others got left on the slipway when they decided it was full. Well, problem was the four-wheeled things...:tongue:

No, I was there after getting off the 10am ferry. I was the gobshite that questioned the pilot at around 10:45 after he'd just said "cars first" for the 3rd time, even though there were many cyclists that had been queueing far longer than any of the cars in the queue. That's when he threatened to withdraw the service. That's when about 200 cyclists started to sound very, very ugly.....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
Ferry was fun!

As Background there were a "few" cyclists waiting for the Ferry. for some reason the cars were let through as aooposed to a "first come first serve" and a token number allowed on around the cars.

An American Lady led a revolt by offering to pay, and was told she couldn't. When about 200 cyclists tried to board there was a threat to close the service, which was then hastily revised as there were no cars anyway (only because someone had stopped them round the corner out of the operator's sight!

Imagine this lot getting across ten or twelve at a time!

.. and note the second wave still waiting!

Sounds like he has problems recognising repeating patterns. That's the nub though - cars pay and cycles don't.

Also had an above average number of island chavs cacking out insults from their rusting tossmobiles.

I like the Randonne, but I'm getting tired of the giant chip that some islanders seem to carry on their shoulders. Either you want visitors or you don't. Make up your f****** minds.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Anyone got any idea of numbers, because there did seem to be more cyclists than I can remember from previous 'editions'?

There's always some waiting at the chain bridge, especially when the ride is anticlockwise, but this year it was a phenomenal ballache, mainly thanks to laughing-boy behind the wheel, or whatever you use to control a chain-bridge.

StuAff

Bollo said:
Anyone got any idea of numbers, because there did seem to be more cyclists than I can remember from previous 'editions'?

There's always some waiting at the chain bridge, especially when the ride is anticlockwise, but this year it was a phenomenal ballache, mainly thanks to laughing-boy behind the wheel, or whatever you use to control a chain-bridge.
Nothing yet on the official site RE numbers yet, but I agree- seemed busier than last year (when I did the 55k route)- all the controls were busy, last year it had dropped off by late afternoon.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..well I enjoyed the ride a lot....was good for me to hook up with Johnnyh and his mates....I took the galaxy but the triple was never used so I should have taken th eBianchi...oh well...lots of peeps on fixes...wow...on those hills as well!

Weather was good...warn in th esun, cold enuff for a jacket in th eshade.

Big hill along the coast...with an ice cream stop at th etop...went up that easy enuff but right at the end of th eride the hills got shorter and steeper and I was cold by then...

Good day.

Before40

StuAff said:
2.30...blimey! Did you have a big plate of spinach for breakfast?
5 hrs didn't seem fast to me - pure pain! - & I had to cycle an extra 10 miles before & after to & from the ferry!
Only stopped for check in's - managed all the hills this year, although i'm not sure how! - they just seemed to keep coming. Black Gang Chine definately the worst hill I've climed (Anticlockwise) since Ditchling Beacon. Missed all the drama that seems to have gone on at the chain ferry (luckily).
Always a nice friendly enjoyable ride

Domestique

Über Member
69.7 miles total
5hrs 53mins
11.8mph av
40mph max

8am ferry from Portsmouth to Fishbourne pre bought tickets and pre registered for ride saved a bit of time early on. We must have missed the faffing at the chainlink ferry, although a backlog of cyclists was building up quick.
Blackgang most def the biggest test of the day.
4pm ferry back to Portsmouth
Great ride, the weather helped. Must be a sod in the rain and wind. Want to be back next year if we can.

Top Bottom