Isle of Wight Randonee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Support crew ..... that sounds very luxurious!

At his beck and call, ready to pamper him at every opportunity.

Luxurious meals laid out on fine linen and the finest silver.

.......and this year he will have to slum it like the rest of us!

;)

More seriously it is really good fun.

If you can then register online to save time at the first checkpoint. There is a "Peleton" ferry from Portsmouth that is absolutely full with bikes that then arrive at Kite Hill in a group that means a fair queue.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Last year if you pre-registered and went on the 8 am Red Funnel from Southampton, you could check in for the ride and pick up the brevet card on the ferry to save the queue in Cowes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
...and two years ago you could register on the ferry from Southampton (no queue if you timed it right!)

Wander Wheels

I'll be doing this again this year but plan to cycle from home 120 round miles providing the weather is ok.
Wightlink often have a 2 for 1 offer for foot passengers on their website nearer the date.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

I'll be doing this again this year but plan to cycle from home 120 round miles providing the weather is ok.
Wightlink often have a 2 for 1 offer for foot passengers on their website nearer the date.

Fair play to you, now I'm feeling lazy driving to the ferry!

We have been toying with the idea of doing both the routes but I don't know if we'll be up to it, we'll make a decision on the day.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Well I've registered, booked myself onto the Kite Hill campsite (thanks Cunobelin) and booked the ferry so I guess I'm doing this after all! Is it the case that you can start from any of the checkpoints? Where are the others who will be doing the longer route going to start from? It might be nice to start out together, even if some of us soon get left behind :whistle:. The nearest checkpoint to the campsite is Wootton.
We'll be starting from East Cowes as that is where the ferry takes us from Southampton, that is the checkpoint before Wooton. If you want to meet up that would be fun, we could do like we did on the Hampshire Bimble and wait for each other so no one is left behind and make it a more sociable event.

Anyone else want to join our posse? :smile:

the snail

Guru
Yes you're right, hadn't thought of that. We might be better to cycle on to Wooton and start there.

Are you joining us?
I'll be staying with my sister in Cowes, so it would be easier for me - I don't remember the queueing being a problem last year. IIRC it runs clockwise this year, so Wooton is the next control after E. Cowes?

PpPete

Legendary Member
The only major queue at Cowes last year was the for the chain ferry - but that won't be a problem this year because its a clockwise year.

MrsWildduck

At his beck and call, ready to pamper him at every opportunity.

Luxurious meals laid out on fine linen and the finest silver.

.......and this year he will have to slum it like the rest of us!

;)

Quackers support crew will now be present!!!

Might have to get a new t-shirt for this year!

Top Bottom