Isle of Wight Randonee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair play to you, now I'm feeling lazy driving to the ferry!

We have been toying with the idea of doing both the routes but I don't know if we'll be up to it, we'll make a decision on the day.

Parking can be an issue, lots of restrictions to stop Gunwharf shoppers and Southsea tourists, not to mention IoW commuters.

There are options, but it is expensive.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

I'll be staying with my sister in Cowes, so it would be easier for me - I don't remember the queueing being a problem last year. IIRC it runs clockwise this year, so Wooton is the next control after E. Cowes?
Yes it is the next one on from East Cowes, so might be less queues than East Cowes. Having said that there were no queues when we did it last year but we started quite late after we missed our ferry!

Chris.IOW

I'll be doing it, bit rude not too when the route goes past my Front Door! I've lost count of the number of times I've done the route, but I know I love it every time. However for some reason this will be the first time I've done it Clockwise! Looking forward to the day as it's always a great day with a great atmosphere.

Chutzpah

Über Member
Is Kite Hill the most recommended camp site? I've only ever visited the IoW for a day so don't know it very well - heading over with about three friends to do the Randonee

Kite Hill is the one of "choice" because:

1. It is a check point
2. It is close to the Portsmouth Fery
3. It is near several pubs that do good food and ale

Chutzpah

Über Member
Cheers for the reply Cunobelin. We'll be coming from Lymington, or maybe Southampton. To make things difficult, one of our party is a vegetarian and the other a vegan, which makes bun stops/pub grub a nightmare!

Wightdragon

Will be doing it again this year, like Chris it goes past my door. Rode the route today on my fixed gear. If the weather is the same in May we will have a good day.

You will all be going past my house, may get the children to sell cakes and lemonade!!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Only 18 days to go! I love the IOW Randonnee - done it around 10 times now I think (I feel I ought to know that - must check!)

But this awful weather is playing havoc with my fitness regime! Fingers crossed it improves considerably next week ...

I'm planning to cycle to the Island from Cheddar in Somerset with a friend on the Saturday (102miles), do the Randonnee on the Sunday and then get the train back to Bristol on the Monday and cycle home from there, same as last year - but I may have to re-think if the weather's anything like this!

rvw

Guru
All being well, we will cycle from Guildford to Southampton on the Saturday, do the Randonnee on the Sunday and then back to Guildford on the Monday. Two years ago the weather was horrible - fingers crossed it's better this time!

2PedalsTez

Über Member
All being well, we will cycle from Guildford to Southampton on the Saturday, do the Randonnee on the Sunday and then back to Guildford on the Monday. Two years ago the weather was horrible - fingers crossed it's better this time!
I remember that year.. it was going fine until I reached the military road (the southern stretch of road along the coast). I lost feeling in my fingers due to the cold!

PpPete

Legendary Member
  • Outlook for Friday to Sunday
    Cloudy on Friday with some outbreaks of rain, but becoming generally drier and colder on Saturday and Sunday, however some rain may linger over southern coastal counties.

I didn't pre-register, but it looks like I may be able to do it. Will make a decision later in the week.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Good news Pete! I'm on Kite Hill campsite the night before, and starting at Wootton - there was a plan for some of us to meet there and at least start out together, although even with a new bike I'm still very slow up hills and will probably be left behind. Haven't heard from RuthieBav etc though. Hope to see you!

What time will you be starting from Wootton?
I'll be getting the 8:00 am ferry too - so won't be at the campsite before 9:30 am - rather depends on how long it takes to register at Cowes.

Top Bottom