Issue with new bike purchase - not new but ex demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
He is right - it’s a good price for a brand new bike. An equivalent ex demo is £1000 (I know because Leisure Lakes are advertising their bikes for that and it comes with a pannier!).
Also it’s an old model - the newer one has 650b wheels and different colours.
I am in 2 minds about it - I like it but it’s a bit irritating not to have been told and slightly dishonest I feel.

it’s also has a couple of small chips

I would decide what you would be happy to pay for a demo bike, then ask them to credit you the difference. In fact ask for more as they will likely try to negotiate. And ensure you still have warranty as a new bike would.
They can only say no, then its up to you to either keep it or let them have the cost of it being sent back and having to refund you.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
Well I have written but checking online there customer service is rubbish,

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
Yes but the number goes to a cantankerous individual in the mail order department and I am rubbish at having a phone argument:-(

Smudge

Veteran
Yes but the number goes to a cantankerous individual in the mail order department and I am rubbish at having a phone argument:-(

You dont have to have an argument, just be assertive. You're the one that's had something mis-sold to you.
You're giving them the opportunity to put things right. If they start being awkward, tell them you will be using your CC companies customer protection insurance to get the funds back and it will be up to them to collect the bike at their own expense.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wow 50% off is less than trade price!
It’s not great buying something new which is only almost new, I can understand you’re disappointment. Definitely worth complaining, something may come of it but if not you’ve got a good buy.

What did you mean by the title ‘Not new but ex democrats’?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Drago the tyres did bear out his assertion that the bike had never been ridden. I know the guy well so unlikely to tell me porkies. Think on the tv series American Pickers and this guy’s sheds put most of their finds to shame. Knowing him his story rings true.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
I get the phone me thing but I just didn’t feel I had enough of a rapport to be assertive- let’s see what Monday brings

Gunk

Guru
Email customer services, explain what the issue is and why it’s a problem (quote something from the sale of goods act) ask them how they propose to resolve it, and the end of your email ask what their complaints procedure is. Usually does the trick!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been following this thread but now I'm confused. Let me get this straight.... the OP bought an electric bike from an online seller at half the usual price and when it arrived he spotted dirt on the tyres? And people are encouraging him to make a fuss and try for a further discount?

In principle - send it back.
In practice you have a deal no one else is offering. - the bike is 30 minute ride from being new.

Email and ask for a further deduction - but from what I have read I would not be returning that bike.

Smudge

Veteran
I've been following this thread but now I'm confused. Let me get this straight.... the OP bought an electric bike from an online seller at half the usual price and when it arrived he spotted dirt on the tyres? And people are encouraging him to make a fuss and try for a further discount?

It wasn't half the usual price, it was half the RRP. If it were half the usual price they sell for, then it would indeed be a stunning bargain.
It was a good price for what they usually sell for, but others have sold it at this discounted price as this model was discontinued some time ago.
It was a reasonably good deal at the price for a NEW bike. But it wasn't for a demo or a customer return.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@Globalti I thought you are/were a businessman? If you don't see what the issue is here then maybe it says more about your standards as a businessman than it does about the expectations of the buyer!
Unless the buyer has missed something mentioned in the advert, the seller has misdescribed/misrepresented the condition of the goods being sold. Either way the bike may be well priced but it is the right of the buyer to choose if they want a new or used bike, not for the seller to make that choice on behalf of the customer and try to force a used bike on them while describing it as new.

Top Bottom