Issue with new bike purchase - not new but ex demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely right; the seller should have made it clear that the bike had been used, irrespective of the agreed price. I was just getting confused by all the posts.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it's used then it's not half price - it's about what a barely used second hand machine would go for anyway.

From the facts described herein then I would suggest it was misrepresented, and the only way to stop this persistently happening is to stand up to retailers that try it on.

midlife

Guru
My new car came with miles on the clock and dirt on the tyres. Maybe the 10 miles is the shops usual distance they test it for to make sure it all works and does not overheat etc?

Smudge

Veteran
Its pretty easy to tell if a bike has been used as a demonstrator, or if its been used by a customer and returned.
This bike had road crap on the tyres, chips in the paintwork and 10 miles on the odo. Plus it may of had even more miles put on it and the odo reset before a further 10 miles was put on. You'd have to be pretty naive to believe this was a brand new unused bike.
The seller should have been honest about its use and priced it accordingly.

Crankarm

Guru
AFAIA the Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers your rights. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Public/Campaigns/cra/ConsumerRightsSummary-GoodsOL.pdf

You have 14 days from the day after you receive your goods to reject them if you have bought on-line as you have not had a chance to inspect the goods before purchase. You can reject for any reason. If the item is not faulty and as described then you have to pay return carriage. If the item is faulty or not as described then the retailer has to pay for return costs. Failure to do so is an infringement of your statutory rights.

If you wish to return the bike because it is not as described the retailer must pay for the return. If they refuse and you paid by credit card then under s.75 of the consumer Credit Act you can enforce your statutory rights against your credit card provider. In practise this means commencing a dispute and a charge back for the amount you paid - forcible refund. Your credit card provider may also try to force you to return the bike at your cost. You don't have to, stick to your guns. The retailer should arrange collection at their expense.

If you paid by Paypal then I believe your credit card provider won't intervene as Paypal has it's own dispute and resolution process.

You need to work out what you want do.

Is the bike fine just showing signs of slight use? Negotiate a further discount or perhaps new tyres.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
Its just had slight usage so am trying to negotiate a slight discount or tires, oddly enough. They have not responded but the credit card company has been helpful. It helps that the cardboard box that the stuff comes in is marked 'ex-display'!.

Fingers crossed and all that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My new car came with miles on the clock and dirt on the tyres. Maybe the 10 miles is the shops usual distance they test it for to make sure it all works and does not overheat etc?
driven from factory floor to car loading area, onto transport .... docks off transport onto then off cargo ship, transporter other end , off and around forecourt it adds up

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
driven from factory floor to car loading area, onto transport .... docks off transport onto then off cargo ship, transporter other end , off and around forecourt it adds up
A couple of my cousins worked at Fords in Dagenham in the early seventies. All those little drives were accompanied by clouds of tyre smoke, screaming engines and squealing brakes.

Them were the days :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A couple of my cousins worked at Fords in Dagenham in the early seventies. All those little drives were accompanied by clouds of tyre smoke, screaming engines and squealing brakes.

Them were the days :okay:
Ah, so that's why you're called Smokin Joe.

Top Bottom