Issue with new bike purchase - not new but ex demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
A lot of companies try to get away with this nowadays, i've been caught a few times by it.
I always give them the choice of compensating me for mis selling or having the item back and refunding me.

si_c

Guru
I'd contact the seller and express your dissatisfaction. Depending on what they say next would define my next steps, if they are apologetic then maybe ask for some accessories or store credit to compensate. If not then return at their expense.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I wouldn’t be happy about it either - new is new, ie: brand new and fresh from the box. Mud on the tyres makes it used - might just be a 10mile test ride but it’s still been used.

I would contact the retailer and send some photos. Ask them to deliver you what you paid for - a brand new bike - and collect the used one. If they offer a gesture to keep it then that’s an option, but for me it would have to be enought to make the final cost somewhere between the new bike price and the price of a lightly used one.

I’ve just received some panniers I ordered from Tredz. One of them has been fitted to a rack at some point as it’s covered in marks and scratches and the lower support rail has been turned round. Not what I expected for £95. I’ve emailed them and am waiting a reply. If I’d wanted used I would have gone on eBay and paid way less.

Stompier

If the bike was sold as new, but turned out to be misdescribed and was in reality ex-demonstrator/display/returned I would quite rightly be very unhappy.
If I want to buy new and pay good money expecting to receive new then anything else is not acceptable. Get on to the supplier and tell them they have described the goods wrongly and need to sort it out.

Not disagreeing, but as I said earlier, either the bike was 'fairly' priced - or it wasn't.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A couple of years ago I was given a 1980’s mountain bike which had been bought new but never used. I did not want knobbly tyres so took them off and discovered one of the inner tubes had 2 patches. Commented on this to the guy who gave it to me and he was adamant he had never ridden the bike. It had been bought from a shop in Bolton now long closed. They had obviously seen a novice coming and just put in old tubes thinking ( correctly) that he would never notice.

Drago

Legendary Member
S
A couple of years ago I was given a 1980’s mountain bike which had been bought new but never used. I did not want knobbly tyres so took them off and discovered one of the inner tubes had 2 patches. Commented on this to the guy who gave it to me and he was adamant he had never ridden the bike. It had been bought from a shop in Bolton now long closed. They had obviously seen a novice coming and just put in old tubes thinking ( correctly) that he would never notice.
Or the bloke that gave it you is a fibber? :okay:

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
The bike was the last one in stock and reduced to half price. No where did it say - ex demo or shop soiled. In fact I spoke to the mail order guy who confirmed it was new and would have a full warranty.

Not once did he mention that it was ex demo, on the shop floor, ex display etc.

I have written to them and they have not responded yet. Will give them a week - meanwhile I can’t ride it because it then be impossible to return !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most likely it had decent tyres and tubes so they swapped them for some shitty ones and kept the decent ones to sell.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The bike was the last one in stock and reduced to half price. No where did it say - ex demo or shop soiled. In fact I spoke to the mail order guy who confirmed it was new and would have a full warranty.
Half price? Feck me man, I'd swallow that for only ten miles even if the shop were a bit naughty (Or the guy you spoke to genuinely did not realise it had been ridden).

The alternative, of course, would be to get a refund and then buy a full price replacement with the huge advantage of not having ten miles under it's wheels.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Half price, bargain. I bought a Boardman Pro Fs for £600 off list - it had a paint chip on it and was a bit dirty.

You've bagged a bargain.

Smudge

Veteran
This 'half price' was the usual sales marketing BS to make out it was a massive discount. Its wasn't a bad discount, but the fact is this bike was often on sale discounted to around £1200 at many places at different times. Even Raleigh direct had it for that price a while back because i looked at it myself.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
This 'half price' was the usual sales marketing BS to make out it was a massive discount. Its wasn't a bad discount, but the fact is this bike was often on sale discounted to around £1200 at many places at different times. Even Raleigh direct had it for that price a while back because i looked at it myself.

He is right - it’s a good price for a brand new bike. An equivalent ex demo is £1000 (I know because Leisure Lakes are advertising their bikes for that and it comes with a pannier!).
Also it’s an old model - the newer one has 650b wheels and different colours.
I am in 2 minds about it - I like it but it’s a bit irritating not to have been told and slightly dishonest I feel.

it’s also has a couple of small chips

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
He is right - it’s a good price for a brand new bike. An equivalent ex demo is £1000 (I know because Leisure Lakes are advertising their bikes for that and it comes with a pannier!).
Also it’s an old model - the newer one has 650b wheels and different colours.
I am in 2 minds about it - I like it but it’s a bit irritating not to have been told and slightly dishonest I feel.

it’s also has a couple of small chips

I cannot see any downside to complaining to supplier.

If they offer something you don't want (eg refund and replacement at higher price), you don't HAVE to take it. ;)

Top Bottom