It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Our headmaster was a senior interrogator assigned to Nuremburg after WW2 ended- he taught German- never had any discipline problems...

Edit: Just looked him up... he studied German at Manchester but was transferred to Munich University until 1938, though it doesn't say why... he ended the war as a Major in the Intelligence Corps and then was assigned to several departments in Germany ending up as Head of the Anglo-German Unit in Dortmund in 1955.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
It makes me wonder if a lot of the teachers we had in the 70's/80's hadn't learnt discipline through their school experiences, then had them added to by service in WW2, or National Service in the 1940's/1950's, for example having to have your billet immaculate and everything laid out on your bed box perfectly, only for the Corporals to fling the whole lot up in the air for the tiniest indiscretion, mugs thrown on the floor and broken because they're allegedly dirty, painting coal white, then black again, etc etc, I'd put money on it that's where a lot of this came from.

tyred

Legendary Member
About five years after I finished secondary school, my old PE teacher was suspended for a lengthy period. As far as I understand a boy had done something to annoy him during PE class and he confiscated his clothes afterwards in the changing rooms and made him walk in his boxers to the headmaster's study to explain his behaviour and the boy's parents lodged a complaint.

He was always big into humiliating people, especially anyone who wasn't interested in sports but obviously times and attitude were changing and what he got away with when I was at school was no longer acceptable.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My son's PE teacher/athletics coach got 6 years, fortunately my son was never one of his 'special boys', and was always wary of him.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The worst and cruellest teachers I had were nuns, both in my early years in Ireland and then over here when I did a year at a Catholic boarding school. They are as nice as pie when they are not in a position to control you but pure vindictive poison when they are. The had a hatred of men in general and little boys in particular, doing everything they could to humiliate and physically hurt them. Though I suppose you've got to be a bit deranged to join one of those orders anyway.

Monks and priests were not far behind either. I have always found that the more fanatical someone is about their religion the more capable they are to commit acts of violence, which is born out by the loonies who walk into a crowded place with an assault rifle or a pack of Semtex wrapped round their bodies.

matiz

Guru
My mum and her sisters were taught by the Nuns her dad was a strict Catholic, she was a generally cheerful women but the mere sight or mention of Nuns would make her sad for hours they had a torrid time with the cruel treatment and punishments .
She vowed never to let me and my brother and sister anywhere near such places and got us in a C of E. school where there was only the Pervy games master to contend with.

newts

Veteran
Our Woodwork teacher was a crack shot with the board rubber.
As was our metalwork teacher. Classmate on the desk in front of me had turned around & was talking to me at an improper time. Cracked on the back of the head with board rubber from 15ft, claret everywhere, nearly hit me too as bounced off his swede. Severe reprimand ensued, but kept his job🙄

I experienced a fair bit of violence from teachers from the mid 1950s and early 1960s but it seemed quite normal at the time. The worst offender was my form teacher through junior school, Mr Lawrence who was always hitting us, but the worst thing was his mind games. We used to regularly get the cane on our outstretched palms and there was a shop outside the school that used to stock them. Sometimes when it was our turn for the cane he used to send us out to buy a new cane, telling us to make it a strong one. On return he would make a show of sharpening the end of the cane with a pencil sharpener before administering the punishment. Several parents complained about him but the reply from the Head was always " You have to understand he did have a very bad war".

He went on to become a schools inspector.

Gillstay

Über Member
My mum and her sisters were taught by the Nuns her dad was a strict Catholic, she was a generally cheerful women but the mere sight or mention of Nuns would make her sad for hours they had a torrid time with the cruel treatment and punishments .
She vowed never to let me and my brother and sister anywhere near such places and got us in a C of E. school where there was only the Pervy games master to contend with.
The worse i ever heard from my students was from a Jesuit school. Terrible to the point of struggling to believe they would do such things.

Top Bottom