It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My son is starting swimming lessons at school so I was telling him that we used to have to swim in our underpants if we forgot our swimming kit.
He couldn’t believe this could possibly have happened but it did. It would have been late 80s early 90s. Looking back it does seem odd but the world was a bit tougher back then.

What other things did you do at school that would never happen nowadays?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Getting caned on your bare arse for being late out of the showers :blush:

Punishment runs before breakfast.
They gave us the keys to the workshop for woodwork metalwork, forge, welding, , lathes ( wood and metal) etc anytime in the weekend.
They gave us keys to the Biology lab ( inc lab chemicals) anytime.
If you wanted to study chemistry at Oxford or Cambridge it was assumed that you could pick the lock to the chemistry lab yourself, to make explosives.

PK99

Legendary Member
My son is starting swimming lessons at school so I was telling him that we used to have to swim in our underpants if we forgot our swimming kit.
He couldn’t believe this could possibly have happened but it did. It would have been late 80s early 90s. Looking back it does seem odd but the world was a bit tougher back then.

The primary school football team, all of it, went to an away game in the Headteacher's Humber car. Several in the boot.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Or having the games teacher insist all the boys strip off, get in the showers together, and stand with folded arms watching them to 'make sure they get themselves properly clean'...! :whistle:
Our PE teacher used to do that as well. He also made us swim naked if we forgot out swimming trunks. He was later sent to prison for indecently assaulting boys.

1BCJdu6jpMQ1N8wK23oi6ctPYSPqLRA6O.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I attended a school in Gravesend, Kent back in the 60's - Shears Green Junior School.

The headmaster John Hale achieved some notoriety back then as the school had opt-in mixed nude swimming lessons as an after school activity. :ohmy:

Quite a few parents allowed their children to participate.

On the ill-fated Friends Reunited platform some 20 years ago this was still very much a hot topic of conversation.

Unsurprisingly!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Or having the games teacher insist all the boys strip off, get in the showers together, and stand with folded arms watching them to 'make sure they get themselves properly clean'...! :whistle:
Ugh, that was still a regular thing at our school until could give up Games in the mid to late 80s. I remember the class being made to roll in the December mud because clean Games kit meant we hadn't played hard enough.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Watching the fearsome Mr Duckham punch a classmate down the stairs, cornering him in the stairwell and then kicking him.

A female teacher standing in the playground and saying, "Whenever there is trouble it's always the little black boys causing it"

Being slapped round the face and called an Irish cur" by another female teacher.

A teacher smoking in class.

The RE teacher being nicked for importuning for an immoral purpose in a public toilet.

Those were the days.

matiz

Guru
Our games teacher used to dive in the showers with us I used to sprint to the changing rooms shower and get out before he got his tracksuit off the slower lads got trapped in there with him ,he was fond of cuddling you from behind in class on the pretext of checking your work, this was in the 60s when no one complained or if you did you certainly wouldn't have been believed.

Slick

Guru
Ffs, I was going to complain bitterly about the blow to one's ego because of being forced to do country dancing in your Y fronts and DM's with yellow laces was no walk in the park but seems a bit of a snowflake comment reading the experiences of some. :eek:

Top Bottom