It’s a different world now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I must have led a very sheltered life as none of the stories so far sound familiar to me. Our swimming sessions were mixed sex so nudity was not an option. The outdoor pool at Helensburgh was certainly very cold and we checked it against sea temperatures and discovered the sea was warmer but on the other hand the main sewers discharged all along the sea front which probably contributed. We did swim in the sea often but if such pollution it would be forbidden nowadays.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Projectile board erasers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Projectile board erasers
Yes - I remember that kind of thing...

I remember a boy at the back of class leaning over to whisper something to the boy next to him. The teacher flew into a rage and threw the board rubber at them. It slammed into the wall inches from their heads. From the look on the teacher's face, I think he realised how close he had come to maiming them.

I didn't think "This teacher is very strict, I must obey him" - I thought "How can I take this psychotic idiot seriously"! :thumbsdown:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There was a completely different attitude to risk. My first headmaster had had his ship sunk from beneath him during the siege of Malta when an Italian pilot lobbed a torpedo into the engine room. He never mentioned it and I only found out five years ago when I stumbled on an article written by his daughter. With that background, the occasional pupil falling out of the cedar tree from a rope that he had rigged up wasn't that serious a matter. There were at least two such arm fractures every year. Parents didn't feel alarmed either. It was viewed as character building.

Anybody found a slug in your breakfast cornflakes or get served sour milk?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Projectile board erasers
249638871_635595957809834_6966241802868098878_n.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There was a completely different attitude to risk. My first headmaster had had his ship sunk from beneath him during the siege of Malta when an Italian pilot lobbed a torpedo into the engine room. He never mentioned it and I only found out five years ago when I stumbled on an article written by his daughter. With that background, the occasional pupil falling out of the cedar tree from a rope that he had rigged up wasn't that serious a matter. There were at least two such arm fractures every year. Parents didn't feel alarmed either. It was viewed as character building.
Completely different parental reaction to risk in my case.... As young men my dad and his mates were clearing minefields, digging down to unexploded German parachute mines, and building temporary bridges over French and German rivers while snipers shot at them. When I was a young man, my dad would warn me against running for a bus in case I tripped and fell! :wacko::laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Being caned, writing lines, detention after school, an hour if I remember right, and an english teacher who would creep up behind you if he thought you weren't working hard enough and rap you round the back of your head with his knuckles, plus the forementioned woodwork teacher throwing board rubbers at you. :sad::sad::sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Our Woodwork teacher was a crack shot with the board rubber.
Metalwork teacher was deadly with anything, piece of steel or chalk. If he intended it to hit, it hit. No near misses.

Woodwork teacher stayed on past his retirement date to allow us to finish with the same teacher. Much appreciated by all in his final class. 24lb of Quality Street was found in his office on the day after the written exam was done.

stephec

Legendary Member
In high school the metalwork teacher was fond of giving people the metal ruler across the palm of the had, but as it didn't really hurt we used to wind him up deliberately so that we could laugh as he gave it us.

In primary school there was a teacher who used to like spanking kids, he once grabbed my wrist and lifted me clean off the floor then spanked me before dropping me back down on the floor, no matter how much it hurt I always refused to cry. I'd love to meet him again now that we're both about the same size.

Top Bottom