It Can Be So Frustrating!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I know I have spoken about this before on other threads, but dang, it is so frustrating. In my pursuit of a classic bike, and especially a Made in England Raleigh, without fail, I come across one in beautiful condition and it's either way too small or way too big. Take this one, for example. A "Made in England"1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, and for only $99. But it's made for a really tall individual. But, I am patient, that one day, a good one, MY SIZE, will come along. ^_^

This bike is almost mint. How tall would you think the rider of this bike is? With a frame that big and the saddle in that position, I would guess close to 7' tall. Has to be. He advertises the bike as a 25.5" extra extra large frame with 27" wheels. Darn, and it's such a beauty!!!

Raleigh.jpg

Have you thought about putting out wanted or looking for adds in classifieds? Lots of bikes rusting away in sheds, few see auction websites, but end up at jumble sales and the sorts.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I know I have spoken about this before on other threads, but dang, it is so frustrating. In my pursuit of a classic bike, and especially a Made in England Raleigh, without fail, I come across one in beautiful condition and it's either way too small or way too big. Take this one, for example. A "Made in England"1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, and for only $99. But it's made for a really tall individual. But, I am patient, that one day, a good one, MY SIZE, will come along. ^_^

This bike is almost mint. How tall would you think the rider of this bike is? With a frame that big and the saddle in that position, I would guess close to 7' tall. Has to be. He advertises the bike as a 25.5" extra extra large frame with 27" wheels. Darn, and it's such a beauty!!!

View attachment 435127

Yep that's a fair size one for sure

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Have you thought about putting out wanted or looking for adds in classifieds? Lots of bikes rusting away in sheds, few see auction websites, but end up at jumble sales and the sorts.

haven't thought of posting anything regarding what i want on Craigslist, but I have been checking, from time to time, all adds here pertaining to used bikes.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

At a glance, the head tube doesn't look all that much longer than the head tube on my Dawes, (pic here) so a similar sized frame (I think mine's 25" ... not sure). I'm 6'3" However, I don't leave anywhere near as much seat post exposed.

I'm 6' and I know that would not fit me. I want to be able to have ample clearance when straddling the frame. Not to keen on having crushed n__s. HAHAHAHA!!

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I get away with riding this,

View attachment 435142

And I'm just a tad shy of 6" but I've got long legs

BTW it's a Raleigh 'Road Ace' in 531c built from a frame I was given.

That looks about the same size of frame, and you fit that even though you are a bit shorter than 6'. I'm 6' and I know I would'nt be able to straddle that frame.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That looks about the same size of frame, and you fit that even though you are a bit shorter than 6'. I'm 6' and I know I would'nt be able to straddle that frame.
Similar to Postman in that I've got long legs (34") so 'standover height' isn't a problem.

EDIT - BTW I used to be 6' tall but now (Late 50s) I've shrunk a bit so I'm 5' 11 1/2"

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member

View attachment 435127
That's lovely - beautiful colour too.

I was fortunate to find an 80s Raleigh Royal touring frame locally a couple of years ago and built it up from mostly period parts found on eBay, and it's my most ridden bike now.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Similar to Postman in that I've got long legs (34") so 'standover height' isn't a problem.

EDIT - BTW I used to be 6' tall but now (Late 50s) I've shrunk a bit so I'm 5' 11 1/2"

Me too. I used to be 6' 1'. Now I'm just a tad over 6' now. maybe it's all the discs in our back degenerating over time. I know I have a number of them that have thinned out, so to speak.

Top Bottom