It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow! Never heard of these type of rides before where you need a Leader/Nanny. On non-race Sundays, I will join Club rides, no special organisation etc required, no 'leaders' or anything like that, we just wait for the slowest to catch up occasionally, agree where to meet, stop for a drink, whatever.

We also have much larger rides officially organised and advertised by the local bike shops called 'GPS Rides' for both road and MTB rides. These attract many Clubs and individuals and can run into the 100's of participants. Leaders? :laugh: We simply download the GPS file the evening before, pitch up at the meeting point, listen to any special instructions/advice/warnings re roadworks etc/special attention sections and the like and then we are off! No waiting for anyone, everyone goes off at their own pace and if you have an issue, a friend/s or teammate/s help you. Insurance? That's down to the individual cyclist, no different to any other ride.

Basically, unless you join a specific Tour Group as a tourist, there is no nannying, you just meet up with friends, teammates or as a larger group and get on with enjoying the ride.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I suppose within the pool of available BC trained ride leaders there must be members that will gladly team up and work together on ride management, while conversely there must be individuals that the other leaders fall over themselves to avoid working with? I guess the less popular ride leaders often end up trying to lead rides on their own, resulting in the farcical and frantic shuttling back and forth, trying to lead from the back while controlling the ride from the front (:wacko:) as described above.
Yes, that’s a fair assessment. It’s still leaders prerogative whether to proceed or not. Personally, I’ve only had to do it as a solo leader with 8 riders, twice. they were both “challenge 60“ rides, so all the riders in the group knew what they doing, and it wasn’t a problem. I’ve got no issues with pulling a ride, if it goes tits up because of a lack of support. The ones that do go tits up, are usually if the weather suddenly deteriorates and no one wants to come out, usually at short notice.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Wow! Never heard of these type of rides before where you need a Leader/Nanny. On non-race Sundays, I will join Club rides, no special organisation etc required, no 'leaders' or anything like that, we just wait for the slowest to catch up occasionally, agree where to meet, stop for a drink, whatever.

We also have much larger rides officially organised and advertised by the local bike shops called 'GPS Rides' for both road and MTB rides. These attract many Clubs and individuals and can run into the 100's of participants. Leaders? :laugh: We simply download the GPS file the evening before, pitch up at the meeting point, listen to any special instructions/advice/warnings re roadworks etc/special attention sections and the like and then we are off! No waiting for anyone, everyone goes off at their own pace and if you have an issue, a friend/s or teammate/s help you. Insurance? That's down to the individual cyclist, no different to any other ride.

Basically, unless you join a specific Tour Group as a tourist, there is no nannying, you just meet up with friends, teammates or as a larger group and get on with enjoying the ride.
You’re clearly far too pro ( said no one, ever). Which pro team do you ride for? ( said no one, ever ):rolleyes:

You’re clearly far too pro ( said no one, ever). Which pro team do you ride for? ( said no one, ever ):rolleyes:

Seriously? That's your considered response to my experiences being different to yours and expressing some surprise?

We have very social riders on the rides I described including kids. What does being 'pro' have to do with not needing a 'Leader' on an organised ride? I am simply stating that it surprises me to hear that organised rides in some parts of the World need Leaders and the like.

Edited to add:
I understand that a Tour Group unfamiliar with a place they are visiting would need a Guide/Leader. Equally, an instructional Group teaching new cyclists the ropes. But general social events? New to me. I'm not suggesting it is wrong, if some folks need a nanny on their rides to keep them in check then fine but it really wouldn't be for me or anyone I know. Still, interesting to hear about what others like. :smile:

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
Half credit, what I should have said is the leader is only really the leader if it’s a ride they’ve planned and posted, another accredited ride leader could join, get the purple L, but not strictly be a leader, because it’s not their ride / route. However I was specifically talking about me leading my ride.
By jove, I think you've almost got it! Now all you need to get your head around is that there are no ride leaders of Ride Socials - just ride organisers - and everyone is a "participant" - no rules, no leaders. Admittedly, if the organiser is the only one that knows the route, they might have to go up front or shout out the turns required - but they're not the "leader".

Wow! Never heard of these type of rides before where you need a Leader/Nanny
It seems that some "ride leaders" believe they are leading any ride that they go on, just because they've got a ride leader "badge".

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Club is having a committee meeting Monday to discuss how they are going to plan this

My club's already come out and stated no group rides and are waiting for 4 July. Others in Yorkshire have followed suit.

This is more about social groups and training; my son's team is looking at doing 1:5 training sessions which this now permits.

I did the instructor course with BC a few years ago, it wasn't supposed to be but it definitely was a 'do the course and you're qualified' job as at least 3 or 4 of the 12 on the course weren't safe to ride on their own, let alone instruct others but everyone 'passed'.
As for RR, if any more proof were needed that he's got a few 'issues' this and his last few threads would be it, which wouldn't matter if it was just putting a load of guff on the tinternet, but the thought of him interacting with people like this in the real world as a leader / instructor in anything is quite concerning.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Club is having a committee meeting Monday to discuss how they are going to plan this
We've already discussed this in my club committee and concluded as a club committee we can achieve BC's requirements and issue guidance to our members. We cannot though ensure these requirements will be adhered to. This is not because we have a bunch of irresponsible members but because the BC guidelines/requirements aren't practical for club rides.

The club won't be putting on any "official" events on the back of BC's The Way Forward.

We've already had to cancel our hill climb championship, open TT10 and the track Race Day is at best 50/50. Very disappointing.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No? No one?

1. Immediately put your bike between yourself and the traffic, ideally with the drivertrain facing away you.

2. Unfasten your lid. If you're attacked or fall and become entagled in the bike it can choke you, or worse. Only have it fastened while riding.

3. If at all possible, remain at least 3 metres from the edge of the road when pushing the bike. If you trip and fall you'll likely go on top of the bike and have no control about where you're going. 3 metres prevents you ending up in the carriageway. Geography doesn't always make this possible, but as an aspirational safety measure it's worth doing. Do not push a bike along narrow towpaths for the same reason - either ride it, where you'll likely come off cleanly if it goes wrong, or go around.
Thanks. I didn't I know this as safety recommendations. No. 1 is instinctive for me. No. 2 I have never considered. No. 3 is something I naturally do when stopped, I can't recall when I last pushed, but 3 metres as you say is difficult to achieve.

I am simply stating that it surprises me to hear that organised rides in some parts of the World need Leaders and the like.
I'm in the UK - like the ride leader here. Most organised rides here don't require leaders. No need to thank me for this information.

Edited to add:
I understand that a Tour Group unfamiliar with a place they are visiting would need a Guide/Leader. Equally, an instructional Group teaching new cyclists the ropes. But general social events? New to me. I'm not suggesting it is wrong, if some folks need a nanny on their rides to keep them in check then fine but it really wouldn't be for me or anyone I know. Still, interesting to hear about what others like. :smile:
You're not suggesting it's wrong, but you are being very rude about a small segment of cyclists who do things differently to you.

dodgy

No? No one?

1. Immediately put your bike between yourself and the traffic, ideally with the drivertrain facing away you.

2. Unfasten your lid. If you're attacked or fall and become entagled in the bike it can choke you, or worse. Only have it fastened while riding.

3. If at all possible, remain at least 3 metres from the edge of the road when pushing the bike. If you trip and fall you'll likely go on top of the bike and have no control about where you're going. 3 metres prevents you ending up in the carriageway. Geography doesn't always make this possible, but as an aspirational safety measure it's worth doing. Do not push a bike along narrow towpaths for the same reason - either ride it, where you'll likely come off cleanly if it goes wrong, or go around.

Kill me now.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Lads. The stench of testosterone in here is choking me. What a willy-waving contest. Oh dear. You are all so awesome. Makes me feel so inadequate that I havent got more than my Cycling Proficiency Test certificate from 1976. Is the OP aware he rubs everyone up the wrong way when he starts these threads? If so, shouldnt he be put on the naughty step to think about his actions? Naughty boy. Sit there and don't argue. There. Or you'll not get any cake.

Top Bottom