It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lads. The stench of testosterone in here is choking me. What a willy-waving contest. Oh dear. You are all so awesome. Makes me feel so inadequate that I havent got more than my Cycling Proficiency Test certificate from 1976. Is the OP aware he rubs everyone up the wrong way when he starts these threads? If so, shouldnt he be put on the naughty step to think about his actions? Naughty boy. Sit there and don't argue. There. Or you'll not get any cake.
I had do do mine on a girls bike, because the Raleigh Chopper was considered to dangerous to use for the CPT. I've been over compensating ever since.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Lads. The stench of testosterone in here is choking me. What a willy-waving contest. Oh dear. You are all so awesome. Makes me feel so inadequate that I havent got more than my Cycling Proficiency Test certificate from 1976. Is the OP aware he rubs everyone up the wrong way when he starts these threads? If so, shouldnt he be put on the naughty step to think about his actions? Naughty boy. Sit there and don't argue. There. Or you'll not get any cake.
Meh.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Thanks. I didn't I know this as safety recommendations. No. 1 is instinctive for me. No. 2 I have never considered. No. 3 is something I naturally do when stopped, I can't recall when I last pushed, but 3 metres as you say is difficult to achieve.
They aren’t really “safety recommendations”. Common sense ( although there really is no such thing) maybe. However we are told to never stop and get off in a live carriageway, unless there’s been an ‘off’ in the pack, which is a) far more sensible and b) far more sensible. So it’s a case of “if you stop in a live carriageway ( which you won’t unless you’re stupid, or someone has crashed) put the bike between you and the traffic, and keep your lid on, because it might choke you if you do something we’ve advised you never to do”. It’s not rocket science really.

classic33

Leg End Member
Always has been. “the real race is on the road”
As I said before, I'd question why you're doing what you claim to be doing. And, in the light of the recent videos now deleted, whether you should be "leading any ride". It seems that you're more interested in having yourself marked as as ride leader, than actually being bothered about those on the rides. I'm not certain if there's a " leaderboard" on who has led the most rides, but you've answered almost as though there is. With this being more important to you, than the actual rides.

It'd be interesting to know if they still ask people who have taken part in such rides, what they thought of the ride.

Just because a governing body is the "umbrella" for your activities, does not release you from your obligations to those who may end up being on an activity led by you.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
As I said before, I'd question why you're doing what you claim to be doing.
Mostly to get the insurance and money off deals that come with B.C. membership for free.

And, in the light of the recent videos now deleted, whether you should be "leading any ride".
Those were all solo ‘balls out efforts’ to get to work on time, and that’s how I always ride them, you’ve never seen one of my lead rides, so can’t comment.
It seems that you're more interested in having yourself marked as as ride leader, than actually being bothered about those on the rides. I'm not certain if there's a " leaderboard" on who has led the most rides, but you've answered almost as though there is.
nothing could be further from the truth, and no there isn’t.
With this being more important to you, than the actual rides. It'd be interesting to know if they still ask people who have taken part in such rides, what they thought of the ride.
They do, I frequently get mentions, by name, about how much the riders enjoyed my rides, I make sure it’s obvious what the level of ride is ( normally challenge 60 ) and I’ve been specifically asked for, by organisations who partner with B.C. for any rides they want to put on ( the multi day challenge rides we’ve been doing for local charities for example). This was a lead / training ride I did for the charity ‘scope’ a couple of years ago. I became one of their ‘poster boys’ for their Ride London campaign, because I’m just that good.

That’s the poster, with me in front of me, at the Excel centre before the Ride London 2018.
Just because a governing body is the "umbrella" for your activities, does not release you from your obligations to those who may end up being on an activity led by you.
I know, I’ve never had any complaints about my rides, and I’ve done loads, so I must be doing something right.

Here’s me with another charity ride ( I’m kneeling on the right) after a 3 day charidee ride from Huddersfield to Southampton. Just looooook at their happy smiling faces ( bless them).

Last edited:
Top Bottom