It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes, what’s your problem?
Just that if they know that this is how you engage with people as one of their representatives, then I must get around to cancelling my membership.

freiston

Veteran
The ride leaders appear as participants, but with a purple L next to their name, on a ride Social. On a guided ride, they are separated, from the participants.
Please understand that the reason they appears as participants and not listed as ride leaders is because they are not leading the ride. On a guided ride, there may be riders with the leader accreditation who are not leading the ride and also appear as participants and have an "L" next to their name - having the ride leader accreditation does not make them a ride leader on every ride de facto.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, that’s not it at all. I can’t help the purple L, that’s an automatic functIon of the system. The point is that if a trained leader sets up a ‘ride social’ and a ‘guided ride’ there’s little difference, other than the accountability of BC for anything happening on the ride. I prefer setting up ride socials, because they are less hassle.
Why isn't the "ride leader" accountable for what happens on their ride?

I take a group walking and anything happens, I'm accountable. Especially if I organised it. The same with most outdoor group activities.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Please understand that the reason they appears as participants and not listed as ride leaders is because they are not leading the ride. On a guided ride, there may be riders with the leader accreditation who are not leading the ride and also appear as participants and have an "L" next to their name - having the ride leader accreditation does not make them a ride leader on every ride de facto.
You’re not getting it are you? Only accredited ride leaders get the purple L on a ride social. If anyone who isn’t also an accredited ride leader sets up a ride social, they don’t get a purple L next to their name. So anyone can set up a ‘ride social’ but only accredited ride leaders who set up ride socials get the ‘leader / purple L’ leader designation.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
After many years of cycling unaccompanied during which I had become a competent roadmap reader, I was encouraged to do a few group rides. This thread reminds me of why my group rides phase was brief:biggrin:.
Good for you. Fortunately, there are going to be a lot of novices, looking for a way to get riding, who will sign up to group rides. It’s going to be a busy few months ahead I think.

freiston

Veteran

I take a group walking and anything happens, I'm accountable. Especially if I organised it. The same with most outdoor group activities.
Short answer is that they are no more and no less accountable than anyone else because they are not "ride leaders" on Ride Social group rides - everyone is a participant and Let's Ride are only facilitating the organising of a group of individuals going on a ride together.

In BC's own words:

"There's no membership fee, no club rules and we're all passionate about getting the miles in.
Use the ride finder to explore existing rides nearby, or reach out to a friendly local group and share the miles together.
If you want to organise a ride, simply join for free to get started."

OP
OP
Racing roadkill

The ride leader is accountable, but B.C. aren’t, on a ride social. It’s a facility that anyone can use to set up a ride, that piggy backs the B.C. system. On a guided ride, B.C. do take responsibility for what happens on the ride, hence the extra rules / regs / hassle involved in a Guided ride. The guided rides routes have to be risk assessed, and those assessments are on file, and there are strict distance / duration / terrain restrictions, dependant on which ‘training level‘ the leader(s) have.

freiston

Veteran
You’re not getting it are you? Only accredited ride leaders get the purple L on a ride social. If anyone who isn’t also an accredited ride leader sets up a ride social, they don’t get a purple L next to their name. So anyone can set up a ‘ride social’ but only accredited ride leaders who set up ride socials get the ‘leader / purple L’ leader designation.

You are the one who isn't getting it - what you've just said does not contradict what I said except for one small detail - "only accredited ride leaders who set up ride socials get the ‘leader / purple L’ leader designation" - accredited ride leaders get the "L" whether they set up the ride or not - it's like a badge letting you know they're accredited - it is not an indication that they are leading that particular ride - leading a particular ride is indicated by being listed as a leader and not as a participant.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Short answer is that they are no more and no less accountable than anyone else because they are not "ride leaders" on Ride Social group rides - everyone is a participant and Let's Ride are only facilitating the organising of a group of individuals going on a ride together.

In BC's own words:

"There's no membership fee, no club rules and we're all passionate about getting the miles in.
Use the ride finder to explore existing rides nearby, or reach out to a friendly local group and share the miles together.
If you want to organise a ride, simply join for free to get started."
You’re still not getting it are you? Anyone can set up a ‘ride social’ only accredited leaders can set up a ‘guided ride’ if an accredited leader sets up a ‘ride social’ they are automatically assigned a leader role, if anyone who isn’t accredited sets up a ‘ride social’ they don’t get assigned the leader role.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
You are the one who isn't getting it - what you've just said does not contradict what I said except for one small detail - "only accredited ride leaders who set up ride socials get the ‘leader / purple L’ leader designation" - accredited ride leaders get the "L" whether they set up the ride or not - it's like a badge letting you know they're accredited - it is not an indication that they are leading that particular ride - leading a particular ride is indicated by being listed as a leader and not as a participant.
No, the complete segregation / differentiation only occurs on guided rides. On ride socials the only differentiation is the purple L next to any participant(s) who are also accredited ride leaders.

freiston

Veteran
You’re still not getting it are you? Anyone can set up a ‘ride social’ only accredited leaders can set up a ‘guided ride’ if an accredited leader sets up a ‘ride social’ they are automatically assigned a leader role, if anyone who isn’t accredited sets up a ‘ride social’ they don’t get assigned the leader role.
FFS!
Nothing you have said in that post contradicts anything that I have said [Edit - accredited ride leaders are never automatically assigned a leader role on a Ride Social]. If an accredited ride leader sets up a guided ride they are the ride leader for that ride - in the riders list, they are listed separately as a ride leader. An accredited ride leader can sign up as a participant for a guided ride set up and led by another accredited ride leader. They will still have the "L" next to their name but they will be listed as a participant - not as a ride leader. Having the "L" next to your name does not automatically make you a ride leader on every ride you sign up for and certainly doesn't make you a ride leader on a Ride Social even if you set it up - because they are effectively leaderless.

EDIT:
Here's what I mean - there is an accredited ride leader on a guided ride and she has an "L" next to her name but she is signed up for the ride as a participant - not as a ride leader and not as an assistant leader - the "L" denotes her accreditation but her listing as a participant and not a leader shows that she is not a ride leader on that ride.

Last edited:
I really don't know why any of you bother, RR has only one view; he's 100% right about everything .You can present all the counter arguments and evidence you want on any subject and he'll still firmly believe that it's the rest of the world that's wrong. Combined with the desperate need for attention and self validation it's quite sad really.

Top Bottom