It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of you are making rides with leaders sound like a 60 mile long cycling proficiency test. Think I'd rather ride solo!
I used to lead plenty of rides. Never killed anyone. One or two came close to death but there was nothing I could have done about it - wouldn't have been my fault. I sleep easy.
Group social rides are great. I'm not a club racer.

RoMeR

Über Member
Why is there a us & them attitude on this forum?, after all we are all cyclists no matter whether we club,tour or commute ride. We should be encouraging people to cycle, not join a particular group and criticize another group. All for one.

Why is there a us & them attitude on this forum?, after all we are all cyclists no matter whether we club,tour or commute ride. We should be encouraging people to cycle, not join a particular group and criticize another group. All for one.
Not really aware that there is to any great degree.
Loaded up with my two large panniers for a day ride (I won't horrify you by listing the contents)I was happy to see the Shenfield club out and about last week.

Solocle

Über Member
Indeed. A 2m exclusion zone means always riding in single file - there's no way you can ride two-abreast at 2m apart. So a group of 6 will be create a 'peloton' of 12m minimum. That is a recipe for car's trying to overtake and then pushing in part-way along the group. And what do you do at junctions? Effectively each person has to wait 2m back until the one ahead has gone then approach and navigate it themselves; so a 12m queue moving forward 2m at a time.

Not to mention that some sources I have read suggest that spacing for strenuous activities like cycling and running should be significantly more than 2m.

Even if you can do this, what's the point?
However those sources are in terms of spacing behind each other. The same effect should make it safe to be less than 2 metres abreast - droplets end up forming a sort of cone behind you. Might change up a really steep hill, though :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
However those sources are in terms of spacing behind each other. The same effect should make it safe to be less than 2 metres abreast - droplets end up forming a sort of cone behind you. Might change up a really steep hill, though :laugh:
But in gusty swirling winds, the 'danger cone' would be all over the place as you and/or the wind change direction!

D

Deleted member 26715

a fair few roadies are incapable of understanding distancing at the best of times. Make a regular habit of passing ultra close and of course wouldn't consider a bell unless it was made of hollowed out carbon and flashed its bragging rights brandlogo onto the heavens. Only a matter of time before I end up knocking one off in London before they get me. Plonkers.
It was quite funny I was approaching a wood & I could hear voices, being partially deaf I have no audio direction so did not know where the sound was coming from & thought it was from in the wood. Then I heard a voice say something about a scalp coming up, but still didn't twig what was happening & turned off the road as planned, next I heard a squeal of several brakes, a few uttered words, then 10 seconds later they came past me, I presume I had thrown their plans into disarray by turning off & not all of them got the message about turning early enough.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why is Zoom suddenly all that the tech geeks can think of?
It's the new kid on the block, one of the problems with Skype is that using usual Merkin logic they went out on their own & made Skype unique in how it handles the media, so it is incapable with anything else so once you are committed down that road your can't easily read $$$$ get out of it. I believe although I don't use it Zoom is more standard friendly so more things can access it. Do not take this as gospel but that is my understanding.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
She has a point.
OK. Think you had a post deleted yesterday for being a bit of a ****
Wrong on both fronts I'm afraid :laugh:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I went on a BC lead ride once.
The leader turned up and after some chit chat etc asked us all to do the 'pre ride BC bike check'.
Ensure tyres are properly inflated, nuts and bolts tight, brakes working, lights worked etc. I know my bike inside out so didn't bother while everyone else bounces and rocked their bikes about. A sight to behold.
Anyhoo, a quarter of the way into the ride the ride leader asked if anyone had a pair of pliers as the slot in which the V brake noodle sits had opened up and wouldn't hold the noodle anymore = no front brake. The battery in her back light went flat also on the way home.
Nuff said.

D

Deleted member 26715

I went on a BC lead ride once.
I never have, but I can understand that if you are in a new area, either just moved or on holiday, or like to ride in a group then maybe they are for you

Milzy

Guru
I’ve just had an email from B.C. telling me that I can lead small rides again ( ride social only until July 4th )as of tomorrow. There’s a zoom meeting to explain exactly what’s what tomorrow. I’m surprised we’ve been given the green light so soon, but it’s a very welcome step back towards normality.:okay:
Thats nice. I've seen chain gangs going on for about 3 weeks.

Top Bottom