It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Ok ... cool .... we're off today for a "circuit of the closed cafes" ride, incorporating the "buying food at petrol stations " cycle group, affiliated !
As usual for our group of 4 there will be 4 leaders all with just slightly different route uploads to Garmin etc to make junctions interesting ...:laugh:

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
surely the safety and actions of the participants is their own responsibility providing that the ride leader doesn't issue any negligent instructions (like ignore the stop lines at red lights, or ride excessively fast in the door zone, etc)?
You forgot to mention not having a clue as to who has priority where cycle paths cross roads. I wouldn't go on a ride led by that arrogant blinkered fool if you paid me.

Landsurfer

Veteran
You forgot to mention not having a clue as to who has priority where cycle paths cross roads. I wouldn't go on a ride led by that arrogant blinkered fool if you paid me.
Who is the arrogant blinkered fool .... this is getting interesting ...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Could someone explain why I need a "leader" or the permission of BC to go cycling in a group with my friends .... as we have been throughout the latest period of chaos ..... ^_^
You have friends who cycle? Cool, how did you meet them?

Landsurfer

Veteran
You have friends who cycle? Cool, how did you meet them?
By doing LEJOG with them ...... how else ...^_^

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I know of at least one Ride Leader replied to the post (of the same info from the email) that they would not be leading any rides yet as it's still too soon, which is their right of course. Like most people (I assume), I'm looking forward to getting back to normal, but I'm also worried about restarting activity and causing a second spike (not me personally and wholly being responsible for a second spike (I'm not that arrogant!!), but I could be contributing). Plus the more important matter of bringing the virus home to my family.

My other concern is maintaining social distance between riders on a ride where we'd normally encourage people to ride as close together as comfortable for safety.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My other concern is maintaining social distance between riders on a ride where we'd normally encourage people to ride as close together as comfortable for safety.
Indeed. A 2m exclusion zone means always riding in single file - there's no way you can ride two-abreast at 2m apart. So a group of 6 will be create a 'peloton' of 12m minimum. That is a recipe for car's trying to overtake and then pushing in part-way along the group. And what do you do at junctions? Effectively each person has to wait 2m back until the one ahead has gone then approach and navigate it themselves; so a 12m queue moving forward 2m at a time.

Not to mention that some sources I have read suggest that spacing for strenuous activities like cycling and running should be significantly more than 2m.

Even if you can do this, what's the point?

Landsurfer

Veteran
Ha. Might be a bit ambitious for a Sunday morning.
When we did our LEJOG in June/July 2018 at least 3 of our cycling group of 10 had not met until the night before we set off.. Lots of chat on the CTC website, but the night before the start at the Ponderosa campsite at Redruth was a first for the group.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Indeed. A 2m exclusion zone means always riding in single file - there's no way you can ride two-abreast at 2m apart. So a group of 6 will be create a 'peloton' of 12m minimum. That is a recipe for car's trying to overtake and then pushing in part-way along the group. And what do you do at junctions? Effectively each person has to wait 2m back until the one ahead has gone then approach and navigate it themselves; so a 12m queue moving forward 2m at a time.

Not to mention that some sources I have read suggest that spacing for strenuous activities like cycling and running should be significantly more than 2m.

Even if you can do this, what's the point?
You don't social distance in Aldi, ASDA and the like so why get worried about being outside on a bicycle ..... hide away if you wish but the rest of the country are getting on with it ...

Top Bottom