It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It`s the in thing at the moment, even big companies are using Zoom for their meetings.
They were until the security flaws were exposed and then everyone jumped ship to Microsoft Teams or Google Hangouts or other such platforms like Gotomeeting.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
To get back to actual cycling, what does a ride leader do if I may ask? Despite being a CTC member I've never been "led" on a group ride so I have no idea. Is it what I think it is, that the leader is really the navigator, mother duck, the person who makes sure nobody's left behind, that kind of thing?
It surely isn't within a ride leaders purview to tell other members (I.e. people who should know how to ride a bicycle) to keep out of the door zone is it?

That depends on circumstances, and whether the vehicles are occupied, you’d know that, if you knew what you were doing, I’d have thought.
In a long row of parked cars how can you tell if there is a driver in them as you approach? Modern cars usually have high headrests and often have tinted/darkened side windows. Unless you are riding at less than 5mph you won't know they are occupied until you are almost on them, especially if you are in the habit of riding close to them. Even more difficult if there are vans in the parked traffic.

Safer to ride outside the door zone than be moving in and out.

Tom B

Guru
So it's a video conference with a catchy name!

And nothing to do with Fat Larry's Band.

I used it for a school governors meeting and despite a hitch in getting connected it worked really well. Impressed I was. Even peeled the sticker of the laptop webcam that I didn't know I had.

I think there has been a concerted push by the government to start getting back to normal. We've had a Whitehall shuffle around, a u-turn, an expensive paint job for a plane, and talk of talks about Brexit trade negotiations this week.

Not that BC have any connection with HMG other than Bozza being a cyclist.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or is it July the 4th?

Mixed messages being given out.

freiston

Veteran
So I've read this thread over a couple of times and what I make of the postings in the thread is that B.C. have told ride leaders that they can lead small rides as of tomorrow - but only rides described as "ride socials", which, from what I understand, don't have leaders but have participants and any member can set one up. :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So I've read this thread over a couple of times and what I make of the postings in the thread is that B.C. have told ride leaders that they can lead small rides as of tomorrow - but only rides described as "ride socials", which, from what I understand, don't have leaders but have participants and any member can set one up. :whistle:
What responsibility/liability can possibly fall on a ride leader for an activity that is legally allowed and takes place on an open, public road? Other than providing a route that is legal, surely the safety and actions of the participants is their own responsibility providing that the ride leader doesn't issue any negligent instructions (like ignore the stop lines at red lights, or ride excessively fast in the door zone, etc)?

If a ride participant isn't confident and capable to ride on the road safely independently then surely they should be directed to a different kind of ride where the leader/trainer to rider ratio is much better (i.e, 1:1 or 1:2?). A social or group ride is no place for a rider to learn roadcraft and maybe BC need to make this clear (perhaps they do?) In their ride promotion?

freiston

Veteran
What responsibility/liability can possibly fall on a ride leader for an activity that is legally allowed and takes place on an open, public road? Other than providing a route that is legal, surely the safety and actions of the participants is their own responsibility providing that the ride leader doesn't issue any negligent instructions (like ignore the stop lines at red lights, or ride excessively fast in the door zone, etc)?

If a ride participant isn't confident and capable to ride on the road safely independently then surely they should be directed to a different kind of ride where the leader/trainer to rider ratio is much better (i.e, 1:1 or 1:2?). A social or group ride is no place for a rider to learn roadcraft and maybe BC need to make this clear (perhaps they do?) In their ride promotion?
My point is that the rides in question don't have ride leaders because they're not that kind of [organised] ride - they're just a bunch of people using BC to organise and get together for a ride. It seemed to me that at least one person's interpretation of "we are pleased to announce small HSBC UK Ride Social group rides are able to resume in England and Jersey" is "B.C. telling me that I can lead small rides again".

B.C? Christ, I'd feel safer riding a pogo stick with a castor on the bottom t!han with one of their rides.
From what i recall of chris hoy's olympic team they do though finance intensive safety courses in accidentally on purpose falling off.

Will look out for this announcement with interest. I was out in essex last week and saw a local club run out. In two groups of six.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
BC have said, "... club and coaching activity can resume from today in England (in groups of six riders and observing social distancing)," and "... Guided Rides in England will return on Saturday 4 July, to allow Ride Leaders the opportunity to access some additional training resources on leading a socially distanced ride in late-June," the aforementioned Zoom meeting.

They mentioned newly published guidance, but it looks like it's not on BC website yet.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Could someone explain why I need a "leader" or the permission of BC to go cycling in a group with my friends .... as we have been throughout the latest period of chaos ..... ^_^

Top Bottom