It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The roads here in rural Poshshire are still very quiet. Cycling on the road is a relatively pleasant experience at the moment, although the number of potholes gives me cause to suspect that Elon Musk may be practising Mars surface EVA's in the area quite soon.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Going by the way people were acting in the supermarket this morning, the lockdown must be long over. People brushing past others, ignoring the one-way system, reaching over each other to pick up products off the shelves. I even saw two people give each other a hug while exclaiming, "It's good to see you!" - not an expression you'd expect to hear from people living in the same household for 3 months.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Going by the way people were acting in the supermarket this morning, the lockdown must be long over. People brushing past others, ignoring the one-way system, reaching over each other to pick up products off the shelves. I even saw to people give each other a hug while exclaiming, "It's good to see you!" - not an expression you'd expect to hear from people living in the same household for 3 months.
Play this the next time you hear those words.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKpYfGNvN0

D

Deleted member 26715

That’s your choice :okay:
It is, but at the end of the day, the bike is only as good as the engine & my engine is knackered

Even if I won the lottery £65+ million I would never spend that kind of money on a bike, even if the half centimetre was a physically gain

That's your choice and a 100% valid one but the OP's choice to buy a top flight machine is his, equally valid and he doesn't need any further 'justification' than he wanted to because he likes it. We shouldn't belittle other's choices and dictate how they spend their disposable income. It's no different to someone wanting a Bugatti instead of a Kia. If they can afford it, it is their money and if makes them happy, great. I dislike alcohol but I'm not going to diss someone for spending a fortune on fine wine or whiskey.

As for the gains high end bikes can deliver, they are tangible. Marginal yes, even more so when ridden by someone who is not in peak physical condition and who would not realise the difference or doesn't chase fractions in time. I have taken two overall KOM's this week on my Madone that I repeatedly failed to do on my Wilier - which has helped me to over 70 since August last year. Now, the difference is aero vs light-weight in this case, the aero bike proving faster in the sprint for me. A matter of seconds. Nothing of any importance to anyone not interested in marginal gains, of course. We are the engines that provide the power, sure, but different bikes can help us achieve greater speed and/or endurance. I'd suggest a £1500 bike will deliver the most in terms of quality vs performance for most but if you are physically at the top of your game and striving for more, marginal gains may be important to you. We all have different goals and enjoy the common interest in cycling in different ways.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That's your choice and a 100% valid one but the OP's choice to buy a top flight machine is his, equally valid and he doesn't need any further 'justification' than he wanted to because he likes it. We shouldn't belittle other's choices and dictate how they spend their disposable income. It's no different to someone wanting a Bugatti instead of a Kia. If they can afford it, it is their money and if makes them happy, great. I dislike alcohol but I'm not going to diss someone
Buy what you want, but if you're going to make a point of ostentatiously posting the price of it and making sure that everybody knows exactly how much you spent, you can expect people to form, and express, certain opinions about the purchase, and that behaviour.

View: https://youtu.be/jOlbOZ9w84I

dodgy

If I won £65 million quid on the lottery, I wouldn't be spending much time figuring out if I should buy a £12k bike or not, it wouldn't be worth the thinking time. I'd just buy what the hell I fancied and couldn't give a stuff if it made me faster or not.
I suppose there are some lottery winners who say "it won't change me" and carry on working in the abbatoir because "they love the people they work with".
pfft

Buy what you want, but if you're going to make a point of ostentatiously posting the price of it and making sure that everybody knows exactly how much you spent, you can expect people to form, and express, certain opinions about the purchase, and that behaviour.

View: https://youtu.be/jOlbOZ9w84I

It was a different thread to this. A different topic and while I'm relatively new here, clearly there is some history I'm unaware of between some posters. But I know what you are saying. Still, someone posting what they paid for a high end machine is no different from someone posting what a cracker of a discount they got or how much they saved buying second-hand etc. In that case he wanted us all to know it is a top-of-the-range machine and it doesn't hurt anyone so I'm ok with that. The OP paid, what, £12k? Full RRP. Same bike can be had for £10k or less online but he chose not to shop around Europe because he didn't have to, evidently, and that's also his choice.

My neighbour across the road has one of those EV Porsches, the Taycan. Proud as punch of it. Worked hard, let me know how much it cost him. He didn't do that to make me feel he is wealthier or his car is better than mine. He's just a happy chap with a new toy that cost him a pretty penny and, yeah, fished for a 'well-done you'. All good. In this case, the OP showed us his nice new bike, it cost a lot. He splashed out a bit. No harm done.

Top Bottom