It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Please scroll back up the thread (not far) to read our south Portugal resident's assessment of my enquiry about the nature of his podia. I have edited my 'text' to insert quotation marks, for the avoidance of doubt.
CBA unless you provide the permalink

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Please scroll back up the thread (not far) to read our south Portugal resident's assessment of my enquiry about the nature of his podia. I have edited my 'text' to insert quotation marks, for the avoidance of doubt.
Nah, I wasn't even talking to you, I was having a little leg pull with @Phaeton about his corporal Jones "selfie", which he responded to in an equally light hearted manner.

Edit : Understood now I've seen your link post, could I suggest a smilie would've given a quick indicator at the time though? 👍

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm clearly thicker than @Mugshot but that has been proved on many occasions, but I still have no clue as to what you're getting your Y-fronts in a twist about, or are you a new man & wear boxers?
🤔

Ajax was using Algarve's exact wording to continue, I'm assuming, the jovial bantz. Unfortunately it all went horribly wrong for various reasons. So we should all just back away, whistling nonchalantly and pretend none of it ever happened.

D

Deleted member 26715

So we should all just back away, whistling nonchalantly and pretend none of it ever happened.
What happened now? What have I missed, I'm sick of this work thing always getting in the way.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So...

It's been a while since this thread was started, everyone seems to have bored off and done other things, besides which we're now into July so the guidance will have changed, but I've got a little update to share. Towards the beginning of the thread there seemed to be some confusion as to whether the BC Ride Social rides had leaders as such, and if the guidance therefore was that qualified BC ride leaders could go out and 'lead' rides again. As I'm a member of BC I thought I'd drop them a line asking for some clarification. This is what they had to say:

So it looks like both sides were correct. Ride Social rides don't have to have a leader, a qualified Ride Leader isn't necessarily the leader of the ride, and athough they could take on that level of responsibility if they wished to, it seems not to be encouraged and that BC would rather the Ride Leaders set up Guided Rides instead.

Also, I like to think I'm a man of my word (mostly). I did mention upthread that I was going to cancel my BC membership. This was in response to my querying the OP's manner in presenting their brand, which he seemed to suggest that they knew about, and were therefore, one would presume, happy with. So rather than just cancel my membership in a fit of pique, and as I was emailing them anyway about the Ride Social business, I thought I'd run it by them. I'm also aware that several contributors to the forum have expressed concern about certain aspects of the OP's roadcraft, particularly as it relates to his status as a BC Ride Leader, so I mentioned that too. This is how they responded:

So I think that's fair enough. I've never met the OP in real life and it's perfectly possible that his online persona is markedly different from his actual real world attitude and personality. I'm sure that applies to most of us, online we're all just ciphers onto which we project certain aspects of ourselves, it's just up to us which particular aspects we choose to promote.

Finally, and relating to the concerns about roadcraft, they wrote this:
In a way that's probably fair enough. BC is a big organisation so it must be logistically quite difficult to carry out any sort of continuous competency assessment of their Ride Leaders. I don't know how stringent the qualification requirements are in the first place, but what's good to know is that there is some extra support available if required. I guess it must be up to the individual to access that support but it's reassuring to know that it is there.

And that's what BC themselves have to say on the matter. I thought it was a reasonable response, so I'll remain a member for the time being...

Slick

Guru
So...

It's been a while since this thread was started, everyone seems to have bored off and done other things, besides which we're now into July so the guidance will have changed, but I've got a little update to share. Towards the beginning of the thread there seemed to be some confusion as to whether the BC Ride Social rides had leaders as such, and if the guidance therefore was that qualified BC ride leaders could go out and 'lead' rides again. As I'm a member of BC I thought I'd drop them a line asking for some clarification. This is what they had to say:

View attachment 535053

So it looks like both sides were correct. Ride Social rides don't have to have a leader, a qualified Ride Leader isn't necessarily the leader of the ride, and athough they could take on that level of responsibility if they wished to, it seems not to be encouraged and that BC would rather the Ride Leaders set up Guided Rides instead.

Also, I like to think I'm a man of my word (mostly). I did mention upthread that I was going to cancel my BC membership. This was in response to my querying the OP's manner in presenting their brand, which he seemed to suggest that they knew about, and were therefore, one would presume, happy with. So rather than just cancel my membership in a fit of pique, and as I was emailing them anyway about the Ride Social business, I thought I'd run it by them. I'm also aware that several contributors to the forum have expressed concern about certain aspects of the OP's roadcraft, particularly as it relates to his status as a BC Ride Leader, so I mentioned that too. This is how they responded:

View attachment 535056

So I think that's fair enough. I've never met the OP in real life and it's perfectly possible that his online persona is markedly different from his actual real world attitude and personality. I'm sure that applies to most of us, online we're all just ciphers onto which we project certain aspects of ourselves, it's just up to us which particular aspects we choose to promote.

Finally, and relating to the concerns about roadcraft, they wrote this:
View attachment 535057
In a way that's probably fair enough. BC is a big organisation so it must be logistically quite difficult to carry out any sort of continuous competency assessment of their Ride Leaders. I don't know how stringent the qualification requirements are in the first place, but what's good to know is that there is some extra support available if required. I guess it must be up to the individual to access that support but it's reassuring to know that it is there.

And that's what BC themselves have to say on the matter. I thought it was a reasonable response, so I'll remain a member for the time being...
Gee whizz, it's more complicated than the CDM regulations who's responsible for what when riding a bike. :eek:

I was enquiring, in a light-hearted chatty way, whether the over 50s podium you're amazingly interested in is virtual or real. What is your current tool of choice? Pictures of tools are always appreciated on CycleChat.

:laugh: Surely you can't truly believe your posts don't reek of condescension? What is your problem with cyclists who enjoy a bit of competition?

There is room for all types of cyclists - why attack those who share a common enjoyment of cycling in general by being small-minded and holding a weird grudge against some who use bicycles as a sport?

To answer the previously not obvious question, I race both road and MTB, not virtually. Marginal gains are significant to me because I can and do get into the top 3 at races that are closely contested. At training and Club level I ride and compete with local Pro's, ex-Pro's and Elite younger riders - as perverse as it may sound to you, I enjoy being able to give them a good challenge despite my age.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the lighter bike gets me Strava KOM's on steep gradients the aero machine has failed to match. That said, I have collected KOM's that on the lighter bike I struggled to get by sprinting on the aero bike. Same engine. We are talking seconds here. Marginal. Utterly irrelevant to most cyclists. But even as a 51 year old racer, the difference between me being on the podium or not is fine margins
I like racing and I like being in the top 3 - ideally winning. If I find that the tools I use make a difference then I would obviously choose the one that makes the biggest difference.
I race both road and MTB, not virtually. Marginal gains are significant to me because I can and do get into the top 3 at races
Good effort, old chap. I hope your selected tool continues to give you satisfaction.
I invited you to show us your tools but see that you shared a list elsewhere: pasted so others can see your selection.
2019 KTM Kapoho e-MTB
2019 KTM Scarp Sonic MTB
2019 Wilier Zero.6 Sram Red eTap
2020 Trek Madone SLR 6

Enjoy and don't mind the pathetic comments from those who clearly need to seek professional counselling; some issues Forums aren't going to solve for them other than give them space to spew snide, immature drivel
Reeking of condescension; moi?

Good effort, old chap. I hope your selected tool continues to give you satisfaction.
I invited you to show us your tools but see that you shared a list elsewhere: pasted so others can see your selection.
2019 KTM Kapoho e-MTB
2019 KTM Scarp Sonic MTB
2019 Wilier Zero.6 Sram Red eTap
2020 Trek Madone SLR 6

Reeking of condescension; moi?

Cheers. Ultimately, I'm only relaying my own experiences and findings. If I come across as a bit of a knob for being a tad enthusiastic about racing etc, then...yeah, no worries about thinking of me in that way, I'd get sick of me too harping on about 'marginal gains' when it means stuff all to the vast majority. :laugh:

I am just stoked that despite a 15-odd year absence from cycling competitively, I have bounced back to a decent level in the last year and this no doubt colours my posts - I'm no cycling God though, I am not nearly as strong or fast as many who post on these Forums but locally where I live, I do well enough and that's a major boost for my ego, rightly or wrongly.

In so far as the tools I use to help me, well, yeah, I need all the help I can get! There is a definite difference in how my two road bikes can help me. The MTB is great, wouldn't change it. I'm bloody useless technically and scared of fast downhills so rely upon hills to catch up! Happily, I still seem to manage to do well.

I'm a born-again cyclist. :bicycle: That will make me a bore to many but hey, we all love our cycling and I'm only here on this Forum to express my own experiences and enjoyment of it.

Top Bottom