It makes my blood boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that's unfair on the Standard's readership, and, it must be said, the Standard is doing the decent thing by putting the vid on their 'front page'.

gregsid

I'm almost(?) certain that it's the red light jumpers and pavement jockeys that have given ALL cyclists a bad image. Grossly unfair though it is.

EDIT: I'm refering to the readers' comments rather than the news item.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think that's unfair on the Standard's readership, and, it must be said, the Standard is doing the decent thing by putting the vid on their 'front page'.

Dell, I agree that the Standard do a good job of promoting cycling in London, but the comments on the web page lend an arguement to the fact that a significant minority simply do not like cyclists, period. And there is little that can be done to change their view point.

C

chillyuk

So what were the other cyclists doing when their mate was assaulted? I hope I never have to rely on any of them.

david1701

I guess the problem is comments tend to be polarised because you need to care enough one way or the other to have something to say and be bothered to say it. Tends to hide the middle ground of the membership, a la helmet debate

As someone who reads the Evening Standard website often when bored at work, its not that there's anti-cyclists, its more that the people who tend to comment on it are serial commenters and usually idiots. I'm surprised the incident hasn't yet been blamed on immigrants or Gordon Brown!

jugglingphil

I haven't read the comments, but the vid is shocking.
Have the Police done anything to find out who the driver was? If the car wasn't reported stolen surely it's the car owner's duty to say who was driving it.

So what were the other cyclists doing when their mate was assaulted? I hope I never have to rely on any of them.

Funny I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
This comment mad eme smile :smile:

I was sat in my car having dropped off some kittens at an old folk's home. A horde of lycra-nazis descended on my car and didn't eleventy million pounds of damage for no apparent reason. When I remonstrated, they punched the kitten, sawed my wife's head off, and laid waste to the entire town centre. Luckily, this was Lewisham so the property damage was less than £30.

Get a grip you numpties, the total number of uninsured cars on our roads is higher than the total number of cyclist commuters.

This was an outburst of thuggery, entirely unprovoked, that the cops have shrugged their shoulders at. Some of you posting have more in common with the skinhead thug in the clip than normal, humane, balanced people who realise the road is a shred space.

Origamist

Legendary Member
This comment mad eme smile :smile:

I was sat in my car having dropped off some kittens at an old folk's home. A horde of lycra-nazis descended on my car and didn't eleventy million pounds of damage for no apparent reason. When I remonstrated, they punched the kitten, sawed my wife's head off, and laid waste to the entire town centre. Luckily, this was Lewisham so the property damage was less than £30.

Get a grip you numpties, the total number of uninsured cars on our roads is higher than the total number of cyclist commuters.

This was an outburst of thuggery, entirely unprovoked, that the cops have shrugged their shoulders at. Some of you posting have more in common with the skinhead thug in the clip than normal, humane, balanced people who realise the road is a shred space.

That comment sounds very much like it was written by Spinners, late of CycleChat.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So if having seen the video, he has no idea who was driving his car.... wasn't it 'taken without consent'?

That was my understanding of the law as well. Seems like a very flimsy excuse to hide behind. If he does not recognise the person driving the car then it must have been stolen. If he does know who was driving but refuses to say then I "think" that is perverting the course of justice.

Top Bottom