It makes my blood boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
So if having seen the video, he has no idea who was driving his car.... wasn't it 'taken without consent'?

No

I could consent to a group of people to drive my car, however it doesn't mean I necessarily know which one is driving at a particular time.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No

I could consent to a group of people to drive my car, however it doesn't mean I necessarily know which one is driving at a particular time.

Would you recognise the people in the group? How many people would lone their car to complete strangers I wonder?

Would you recognise the people in the group? How many people would lone their car to complete strangers I wonder?

Certainly not to a group in which I could not reasonably be expected to identify the driver; or at the very least, give full details of someone who could identify the driver.

I am guessing that the registered keeper knows full well who the driver is.

twowheelsgood

I believe the Police traced the driver, but he said that the car had been left with the keys in the ignition and it had be taken by someone else on the day, but returned later.

Damn, happens all the time, sometimes you even get a full tank of petrol, the inside vacuumed and a polite thank you note. Really, the owner should surely be done for obstructing a police enquiry.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Damn, happens all the time, sometimes you even get a full tank of petrol, the inside vacuumed and a polite thank you note. Really, the owner should surely be done for obstructing a police enquiry.

That happens to me as well. My bike is taken and then returned. It has new tyres, chainset and quite often a full service! When the driver is found and tied to the owner I hope they both go down. This is one of those times where facial recognition software would be a huge help.

That was my understanding of the law as well. Seems like a very flimsy excuse to hide behind. If he does not recognise the person driving the car then it must have been stolen. If he does know who was driving but refuses to say then I "think" that is perverting the course of justice.

''My car was left unlocked with the keys in it while at a funeral, I don't know who took it, but they returned it"

yeah right - why not charge the driver with as many things as you can think of:

no insurance (was the driver at the time insured? - my insurance is invalid if my keys are left in the car, so technically it's on the road uninsured...)
affray
aiding and abetting,
obstruction
etc

might suddenly remember who it was...

davefb

Guru

this is why there is TWOC'ing and not stealing...
apparently the guy who was in possession of my car hadnt nicked it, he'd found it with the keys in and the other person must have nicked it..

thing is... whilst i can understand theres a chance of this.... why arent they just laughed at ?

having said that,,, balance of probs works in civil court, so maybe since he's admitted it by making that tale up, the cyclists can sue for damages thru civil courts ?

I'm almost(?) certain that it's the red light jumpers and pavement jockeys that have given ALL cyclists a bad image. Grossly unfair though it is.

EDIT: I'm refering to the readers' comments rather than the news item.

The thing that I have to laugh at is that people will say that the actions of those cyclists "don't" or "shouldn't" reflect on the rest of us. The truth is that it does. They just use that as an excuse to justify their scofflaw behavior.

Top Bottom