It makes my blood boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The guy is a farrier, someone has already posted on the Youtube clip that they will be taking their business elsewhere. Can be quite a close-knit pastime horseriding too, if word gets round then he might lose more...

Given that he's self-employed that would be fitting. As he's metaphorically has shot himself in the foot. And I don't see too many people being willing to trust their horses to him.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm not saying that he shouldn't be punished. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be punished to the extent that if he has children that he can't provide for them. That isn't asking too much is it?

I mean if he has children and he is punished to such an extent that he can't provide for his children what do you think is going to end up happening?

As I said, yes let's punish him, but not to the extent that he cannot afford to take care of his other obligations. Isn't that reasonable?
Trust me he will not get a huge sentence. At most 6 months and a fine. That said if the punishment were harsher he and others may think twice about doing the same thing.

**** him, he shouldn't have done what he did. And I'm not saying that because I ride a bike and the guy he 'punched' was a cyclist. There is too much unpunished thuggery in this country so if he loses his business then tough. Hopefully in the near future this guy will be looking for a job and the person doing the interviewing will remember his unintentionally public neanderthalims and pass him over for someone more deserving.

Agreed, as has been said, too many people feel as if they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. Or blame the other person, as in this case the road was too narrow for the motorist to overtake the cyclists so the motorist felt "justified" in punching the cyclist out. That ranks up there with "those cyclists 'forced' me to pass them in an unsafe manner." Last time I checked when a motorist passes a cyclist in an unsafe manner there wasn't anyone holding a gun to their head forcing them to do so. So how is it that we "forced" them to pass us in an unsafe manner?

Trust me he will not get a huge sentence. At most 6 months and a fine. That said if the punishment were harsher he and others may think twice about doing the same thing.

I agree that sadly more often than not that the punishment in these cases, is too lenient, and needs to be harsher.

A good example would be to take away his drivers license and force him to ride a bicycle for transportation. And given that he is a farrier with the possible exception of an anvil he should be able to carry all of his tools in a bicycle trailer. Or even given that he is a farrier make him use a horse and buggy/wagon/buckboard as his mode of transportation and then he can still carry his anvil.

david1701

I agree that sadly more often than not that the punishment in these cases, is too lenient, and needs to be harsher.

A good example would be to take away his drivers license and force him to ride a bicycle for transportation. And given that he is a farrier with the possible exception of an anvil he should be able to carry all of his tools in a bicycle trailer. Or even given that he is a farrier make him use a horse and buggy/wagon/buckboard as his mode of transportation and then he can still carry his anvil.

one that comes to our horses has a whole forge in there. I'm a massive cycling advocat but its just not viable for some people to do without a car :tongue:

one that comes to our horses has a whole forge in there. I'm a massive cycling advocat but its just not viable for some people to do without a car :tongue:

Exactly, which is why several of us who support the car-free lifestyle have suggested renting a car or a truck for those times that a person needs to haul something that they can't on their bike.

abo

Exactly, which is why several of us who support the car-free lifestyle have suggested renting a car or a truck for those times that a person needs to haul something that they can't on their bike.

Ah I still like having a car of my own even though I rarely drive at at the moment. It's just nice to be able to do something which needs it on a whim. Still, Insurance is next to nothing, tax is something daft like £60 and I service it myself so it isn't costing me a great deal to have it sat ready for action.

The only regular trip it makes is on a Tuesday evening when I take the kids over to my mum's house for dinner. Everything else was local which I've largely replaced with the bike.

Ah I still like having a car of my own even though I rarely drive at at the moment. It's just nice to be able to do something which needs it on a whim. Still, Insurance is next to nothing, tax is something daft like £60 and I service it myself so it isn't costing me a great deal to have it sat ready for action.

The only regular trip it makes is on a Tuesday evening when I take the kids over to my mum's house for dinner. Everything else was local which I've largely replaced with the bike.

For some I'm sure that that makes sense, but for others I'm sure that it makes more sense to rent a car when needed.

Like, if a person only needs a car once a month or less it makes more sense to just rent one rather than to keep one in the "storage shed" out back, doesn't it?

I want to play devils advocate for a moment.

Let's say that if these two blokes instead of being a cyclist and motorist were just two blokes walking down the pavement. The first bloke (the one that was the cyclist) is in front and the second bloke (the motorist) is behind. He can't get around the first bloke, and when he finally does he stops and punches the first out.

What would be the punishment? Depending on if it's their first offense or not, a month or two in jail and/or a fine, right? So just because they were a cyclist and motorist why should the motorist have to face a harsher punishment? I mean it's not like he used his car to assault the cyclist, right? He just got of his car and punched the other bloke out.

Yes, it was wrong, and he should be punished. But the question is what should the punishment be?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I want to play devils advocate for a moment.

Let's say that if these two blokes instead of being a cyclist and motorist were just two blokes walking down the pavement. The first bloke (the one that was the cyclist) is in front and the second bloke (the motorist) is behind. He can't get around the first bloke, and when he finally does he stops and punches the first out.

What would be the punishment? Depending on if it's their first offense or not, a month or two in jail and/or a fine, right? So just because they were a cyclist and motorist why should the motorist have to face a harsher punishment? I mean it's not like he used his car to assault the cyclist, right? He just got of his car and punched the other bloke out.

Yes, it was wrong, and he should be punished. But the question is what should the punishment be?
The punishment should be one that befits the charge of assault. Ottomh I think max 6 months jail time.

Top Bottom