It never stops to annoy me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why do the English call the stretch of water between France and England the English Channel? Since when does England own it? Every time I see it written on a map, I always cross off the word "English" as they don't own it. In France we call it :" La Manche" which means The Sleeve as this is what it looks like . I think it is very pretentious of the English to pretend to own it. Rant over.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Possibly the English think they own it ‘cos they had to get the cheese eating, garlic smelling surrender monkeys out the shite...twice.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's the same reason that what everyone else calls the Bay of Biscay after a bit of Spain the French call the Baie De Gascogne.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Not according to Garmin

La Manche.jpg

Stu Smith

Veteran
Possibly the English think they own ‘cos they had to get the cheese eating garlic smelling surrender monkeys out the shite...twice.

:laugh::laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
It can't be just me who's checking Wikipedia...

Until the 18th century, the English Channel had no fixed name either in English or in French. It was never defined as a political border, and the names were more or less descriptive. It was not considered as the property of a nation. Before the development of the modern nations, British scholars very often referred to it as "Gaulish" (Gallicum in Latin) and French scholars as "British" or "English". The name "English Channel" has been widely used since the early 18th century, possibly originating from the designation Engelse Kanaal in Dutch sea maps from the 16th century onwards. In modern Dutch, however, it is known as Het Kanaal (with no reference to the word "English"). Later, it has also been known as the "British Channel" or the "British Sea". It was called Oceanus Britannicus by the 2nd-century geographer Ptolemy. The same name is used on an Italian map of about 1450, which gives the alternative name of canalites Anglie—possibly the first recorded use of the "Channel" designation. The Anglo-Saxon texts often call it Sūð-sǣ ("South Sea") as opposed to Norð-sǣ ("North Sea" = Bristol Channel). The common word channel was first recorded in Middle English in the 13th century and was borrowed from Old French chanel, variant form of chenel "canal".​

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Yeah but, most roads going to somewhere are called where they are going to, like London Road ... So obviously the Frenchies in their past history called it that, as that's where's they were going ;)

Top Bottom