It never stops to annoy me.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gavroche, 11 Feb 2019.

  1. gavroche

    gavroche Getting old but not past it

    North Wales
    Why do the English call the stretch of water between France and England the English Channel? Since when does England own it? Every time I see it written on a map, I always cross off the word "English" as they don't own it. In France we call it :" La Manche" which means The Sleeve as this is what it looks like . I think it is very pretentious of the English to pretend to own it. Rant over.
    Andy in Germany and raleighnut like this.
  2. CarlP

    CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

    Possibly the English think they own it ‘cos they had to get the cheese eating, garlic smelling surrender monkeys out the shite...twice.
    Last edited: 12 Feb 2019
    Slioch, Fnaar, biggs682 and 9 others like this.
  3. screenman

    screenman Legendary Member

    Yeh! like French Fries.
  4. srw

    srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

    It's the same reason that what everyone else calls the Bay of Biscay after a bit of Spain the French call the Baie De Gascogne.
    mustang1 and Fab Foodie like this.
  5. cosmicbike

    cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

    Cos it's ours:okay: Otherwise it would be called the French Channel wouldn't it......
  6. winjim

    winjim A youth of interminable age

    Same reason we call the bit on the other side the Irish sea I guess.
    mustang1, Fnaar, Rusty Nails and 7 others like this.
  7. numbnuts

    numbnuts Legendary Member

    North Baddesley
  8. Mugshot

    Mugshot Guru

    I feel the same way about the Irish Sea, they should just call it Sea and don’t even get me started on the Indian Ocean :cursing:
    mustang1, Fnaar, MontyVeda and 5 others like this.
  9. Stu Smith

    Stu Smith Über Member

  10. winjim

    winjim A youth of interminable age

    It can't be just me who's checking Wikipedia...

    Until the 18th century, the English Channel had no fixed name either in English or in French. It was never defined as a political border, and the names were more or less descriptive. It was not considered as the property of a nation. Before the development of the modern nations, British scholars very often referred to it as "Gaulish" (Gallicum in Latin) and French scholars as "British" or "English". The name "English Channel" has been widely used since the early 18th century, possibly originating from the designation Engelse Kanaal in Dutch sea maps from the 16th century onwards. In modern Dutch, however, it is known as Het Kanaal (with no reference to the word "English"). Later, it has also been known as the "British Channel" or the "British Sea". It was called Oceanus Britannicus by the 2nd-century geographer Ptolemy. The same name is used on an Italian map of about 1450, which gives the alternative name of canalites Anglie—possibly the first recorded use of the "Channel" designation. The Anglo-Saxon texts often call it Sūð-sǣ ("South Sea") as opposed to Norð-sǣ ("North Sea" = Bristol Channel). The common word channel was first recorded in Middle English in the 13th century and was borrowed from Old French chanel, variant form of chenel "canal".​
    Fnaar likes this.
  11. craigwend

    craigwend Grimpeur des Holderness

    Yeah but, most roads going to somewhere are called where they are going to, like London Road ... So obviously the Frenchies in their past history called it that, as that's where's they were going ;)
    mustang1 likes this.
  12. glasgowcyclist

    glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

    I can't remember the last time I called it the English Channel, I just call it the Channel.
    Then again, I'm not English.
  13. roadrash

    roadrash cycle chatterer

    Now cmon, say what you think, your gonna get splinters sitting on the fence like that :laugh:
  14. Profpointy

    Profpointy Guru

    The apocryphal newspaper headline "fog in the English Channel, Europe cut off"
    mustang1, Fnaar, byegad and 4 others like this.
  15. roadrash

    roadrash cycle chatterer

    I have some bread in the kitchen, its called a French stick,....the French don't own it,.. I do …..just saying...
    Stu Smith, Fnaar, postman and 7 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice