It took a long time but I recovered a stolen bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've written up a few words about recovering a stolen bike last year. Maybe if you've ever had a bike stolen you'll be interested?

https://www.polocini.com/blogs/news

Mods - this links through to what was a business website. Apologies if I'm breaking any rules. I definitely don't have anything to sell! or a business anymore? Who knows!

Cheers
AL
An interesting read 👍

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've written up a few words about recovering a stolen bike last year. Maybe if you've ever had a bike stolen you'll be interested?

https://www.polocini.com/blogs/news

Mods - this links through to what was a business website. Apologies if I'm breaking any rules. I definitely don't have anything to sell! or a business anymore? Who knows!

Cheers
AL
Great write up, thank you, there is hope for mine yet.

OP
OP
Polocini

Polocini

Veteran
Thanks for all the kind words.

Skol - I have no idea. Was it stolen to order? Did he buy it so cheap he knew it was stolen? The wheels and cranks had been changed which were not only the most valuable parts but also most distinctive. The fact he wouldn't take a deposit or let me view the bike at his house makes you think he knew something.

AL

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have recovered stolen bikes twice, just confronted the scumbags riding around on them weeks/months later and claimed them back! The second time broke my heart because they had swapped out the good bits in an effort to disguise the bikes identity. I lost my good handbuilt wheels and Deore hydraulic disc brakes and got shitty wheels and cable disc brakes in return. To make matters worse they had chisled off the cable/hose guides from the frame because they didn't want to unplumb the hydraulics.
At least yours came back in a reasonable condition so appears to have been stolen by someone a bit more proffesional. Mine was apparently taken by the village idiots!!!

It seems strange to have kept it so long ?
I suppose parts could be sold off quite quickly as not being easily identifiable whereas a frame is more conspicuous.
It would also suggest that there must be a stock of frames somewhere just waiting for the right time to be released onto the market .

OP
OP
Polocini

Polocini

Veteran
I think the guy was probably offered the bike cheap and knew it must be dodgy. He couldn't have bought it online either.
He then rode it for a few years and when he decided to sell took off the distinctive wheels and cranks to sell it. They were also the most expensive parts and probably easy to sell on.
I dont think he stole it and I doubt it was stolen to order as it was probably the only day I ever had a bike in the house. Which did fuel the paranoia even more though.
However, I still have absolutely no idea what went on really.

AL

Top Bottom