Itch scratched.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had to become a Bromptonaunt. Don't really need one, but I want one.
So I had a word with a man and this arrived today.

A nice blue 6 speed.
Fortunately SWMBO has just had her new machine so had no grounds for complaint.

I've even managed to fold and unfold it.

Now to find excuses to ride it.^_^^_^^_^

Rocky

Hello decadence
That's a great looking bike. Congratulations.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Thanks. One question - when I put it together there is a bit of play in the clasp that holds the back of the bike to the front - where the rubber bung is, Is this normal and if not how do I adjust it?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Thanks. One question - when I put it together there is a bit of play in the clasp that holds the back of the bike to the front - where the rubber bung is, Is this normal and if not how do I adjust it?
It's normal. Many people don't use the clasp (it used to be a "delete option" and neither of mine have it). It just makes carrying it unfolded easier, but you rarely have to do that. Maybe for short flights of steps.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
It's normal. Many people don't use the clasp (it used to be a "delete option" and neither of mine have it). It just makes carrying it unfolded easier, but you rarely have to do that. Maybe for short flights of steps.
Thank you. I'm not planning on going up too many steps with it.

Cirrus

Veteran
Nice bike....... I have a very similar itch that may need scratching at some point

Cambram

Before it gets scratched, find an old leather gardening glove to slip over the folded pedal when folding for storage. I once saw a Brompton that had a big lump machined out of the pedal to avoid this damage - and he called himself an engineer! I have had my Brompton about 23 years. They may have improved this item, in the meantime. Enjoy it.

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Such a fascinating and interesting looking 2-wheel vehicle. I hope I get to ride one some day. I have only seen one ONCE here in the States, yet it is such a fine looking piece of machinery. Well done, Brompton. A piece of art, somehow. I must admit, I am curious to experience what it feels like to ride a bike with such small wheels and the seat and handlebar way up high. A new experience it will be for me some day I am sure.

Have you rode one before? What was your first impression of the ride?

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Have you rode one before? What was your first impression of the ride?
I have ridden one before but it was so long ago that I can remember little about it.

Small wheels are twitchy. No doubt about that. Coming from full size road wheels it was a shock to the system.
Wobble, wobble, wobble. But that only lasted for about 25 yards and then I was into the groove.
The riding position is very good and well thought out. No problems there. I wouldn't dream of doing 100 miles or km on it though I'm sure many have.
They are principally town or short distance bikes - at least that's what mine will be used for. But for such journeys its much easier than getting the big road bike out.

Top Bottom