Itch scratched.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have ridden one before but it was so long ago that I can remember little about it.

Small wheels are twitchy. No doubt about that. Coming from full size road wheels it was a shock to the system.
Wobble, wobble, wobble. But that only lasted for about 25 yards and then I was into the groove.
The riding position is very good and well thought out. No problems there. I wouldn't dream of doing 100 miles or km on it though I'm sure many have.
They are principally town or short distance bikes - at least that's what mine will be used for. But for such journeys its much easier than getting the big road bike out.
I find that a front bag irons out any wobbles with a bit more weight on the front rather than a bag behind the saddle. Mine gets heavier by the week until I have a gut out and then the build up starts again. I have one of the bigger Brompton bags but mostly use a "basket" I got from lidl for about £10.

raggydoll

Über Member

^_^

Well made by a brand that has stood the test of time
Reliable
Plenty of spares and spares are actually really reasonably priced (for sprockets, chainrings etc).

There's a youtube channel from Brilliant Bikes (I think they're a bike shop) but they make loads of videos on bromptons, how to do basic maintenance, review bags etc.

Explain things really well.

Lots of good info if you have the time to work your way through some of their videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/brilliantbikes/videos

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
It's also an itch I will need to to scratch at some point . That blue really suits it's lines.
Yes. When I was told it would be blue I was expecting a brightish blue. Maybe Chelsea blue or similar.
Initially I was a little disappointed when I saw it, but now that I've had a good play with it, and a few little rides, I agree with you. It looks classy. Glad I've got it.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
^_^

Well made by a brand that has stood the test of time
Reliable
Plenty of spares and spares are actually really reasonably priced (for sprockets, chainrings etc).

There's a youtube channel from Brilliant Bikes (I think they're a bike shop) but they make loads of videos on bromptons, how to do basic maintenance, review bags etc.

Explain things really well.

Lots of good info if you have the time to work your way through some of their videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/brilliantbikes/videos
Thank you very much. I will have a look at that. I have heard of them somewhere, sometime.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
There is an Inside the Factory programme about Brompton. Series 2 Episode 4. I remember watching it and it was very good.
Unfortunately it is not available at present, unless some geek knows how to retrieve it from God ( or Allah) knows where in the cloud☁️☁️☁️

Sam colour as my daughters, who a couple of years ago asked if we might look at a folder so she could use the train sometimes, if needed, and then cycle 3 miles to her workplace.
We looked at the Carrera, and watched one of the tech guys mess around folding it.
A week later I bought her an M6L, same colour, and she love it!
Well done for being in the right place at the right time.
C8E043A0-8D0A-40CD-8594-7932764EB9C2.jpeg

hers and mine In Guildford.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I probably would have done the same. Can’t wait to try one, or something similar sometime. I live in a city where everything is close by, so something like that would be great for scoot-arounds. But so is my urbanized mountain bike. Our apartment building bike room is very handy, so any bike can come out easy, but I’m already stacked 3-bikes deep so I should just behave. Jostling the 3 of them, locking/unlocking, moving is already a bit of a circus. I’m just glad I don’t have to keep any of them in our 2nd floor apartment. :wacko: Nice find, Darius.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Before it gets scratched, find an old leather gardening glove to slip over the folded pedal when folding for storage. I once saw a Brompton that had a big lump machined out of the pedal to avoid this damage - and he called himself an engineer! I have had my Brompton about 23 years. They may have improved this item, in the meantime. Enjoy it.
They improved it 2008. For 13 years now there is a little nob on the inner side of the left crank that avoids that the folded pedal scratches the frame.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have ridden one before but it was so long ago that I can remember little about it.

Small wheels are twitchy. No doubt about that. Coming from full size road wheels it was a shock to the system.
Wobble, wobble, wobble. But that only lasted for about 25 yards and then I was into the groove.
The riding position is very good and well thought out. No problems there. I wouldn't dream of doing 100 miles or km on it though I'm sure many have.
They are principally town or short distance bikes - at least that's what mine will be used for. But for such journeys its much easier than getting the big road bike out.
I did the same as you and ended-up with exactly the same bike...I didn’t need one!
I’ve done over 100 miles per day on it without issue and toured fully loaded too.
Great fun.
Other small wheelers are not twitchy, it’s a Brompton characteristic.
I’ve just picked- up a 2 speed to compliment the fully loaded 6 speed :-)

Top Bottom