It's an old mans (sorry persons) sport isn't it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... I'm getting slowly faster, fitter and more experienced. At this rate I'll be pretty quick by the time I die.

Unless the time is soon!!! Hopefully that day is a long way off.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
Maybe another reason that many of the roadies are middle aged and up is because they have the regular income to support buying a nice bike and all the kit. Someone under 25 might not have that.

compo

Veteran
I am always amazed at the lack of under 24 riders on the Strava segments, 65 and over is not well populated but you could attribute that to technology, but you would have thought if under 24's were riding they would be all over Strava like a rash. So that means not many ride.

It isn't that us oldies don't understand the technology but more that we have reached a time of life where we don't need to keep telling people how wonderful we all are all the time.

oldroadman

Veteran
I am always amazed at the lack of under 24 riders on the Strava segments, 65 and over is not well populated but you could attribute that to technology, but you would have thought if under 24's were riding they would be all over Strava like a rash. So that means not many ride.

Example Segment has 474 riders

Under 24 = 31
25 -34 163
35-44 150
45-54 60
55-64 13
65 & Over 1

Which means either I can't add up or 56 are too shy to put in a DOB

Because if they are any good at riding, they are probably riding proper races and are not bothered with Strava (pointless unless you want to boast) or sportives (pretend races for people who would like to be racing but don't have time to train, are too old, or multiple other reasons so have a play, and that's fine).
Just don't confude what you may see at TTs which are older riders events, with races where there are tons of youth riders, a good crop of juniors, and plenty of senior riders. A decent rider by picking races can easily (at club/local race level) be racing into the 40's. After which they can join all the oldies at TTs or just potter around sportives without worrying about who they "beat", because they probably have had their fair share of placings in real races.

format

Über Member
I can only speak from my own experience but the majority of 'city cyclists' are young folks (under 30) whereas I see a lot more 'serious' cyclists at my work who are 30+.

VamP

Banned
Might as well face it, cycling is an old man's sport. TT's are totally dominated by oldies, CX is half and half between seniors and vets with just a handful of juniors or women, road races are half and half, MTB racing the seniors probably edge it.

I am engaged in an old man activity. Like skittles. There I said it. Feel better now. :smile:

Top Bottom