It's an old mans (sorry persons) sport isn't it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
Just did a sportive and came in the top 25%. Great I thought, I'm probably in the top few for my age (second half of 40s). But no not at all. Even the alien who came first (over an hour ahead of me) was in my age category.

boybiker

Guru
It totally depends on the event and who's running it. I done a local charities sportive and a lot of people from a local cycling club took part so most of the field was sub 25 years of age :thumbsup:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Most of the people at such events do tend to be middle aged. Even at competitive events such as time trials and other races, the majority seem to be >40. Possibly a combination of finances, travel and the fact that by middle age your life is settling down into something resembling a routine which lends itself to training for sports.

Kookas

Über Member
I know. It's really off-putting for me when cycling events are absolutely dominated by guys 30-50 years older, so unless the context of the ride itself is interesting I don't tend to do group cycling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It does worry me that fewer and fewer young people seem to be doing outdoor stuff. A caving instructor friend says he doesn't see young cavers any more, climbers are complaining that certain crags are getting clogged up with mud and grass, my old mountain bike club is collapsing for lack of new membership, walking groups are all geriatric, road cyclists all seem to be in their forties or older.....

Hip Priest

Veteran
The three best cyclists in know are in their 40s. They're all really skinny too.

Kookas

Über Member
The three best cyclists in know are in their 40s. They're all really skinny too.

Saw a guy coming the other way looking literally like a few tree branches strung together by some kids in a playground to make a little stickman. I guess that's what a climber looks like.

zizou

Veteran
Getting beat by older guys isn't so bad and can be quite inspiring - they have lots more experience and miles in the legs than i do and it gives hope that i can hopefully keep improving for years to come

Getting thumped on the other hand by juniors is much, much worse :biggrin:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did a 100k sportive today too & managed a silver time ^_^ Not bad considering I've been off the bike for almost 9 months with a back problem & have only been back in the saddle for a couple of weeks & not done more than 35 miles in a day. Not compared to other times, as i'm not in it for the times, just to enjoy, but I am one of those 40 somethings now enjoying cycling. Bought my first house at 19, got married & didnt have finance or time to do such things, but now finance is much more comfortable to be able to have a nice bike (or two) & attend the occasional sportive :thumbsup:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am always amazed at the lack of under 24 riders on the Strava segments, 65 and over is not well populated but you could attribute that to technology, but you would have thought if under 24's were riding they would be all over Strava like a rash. So that means not many ride.

Example Segment has 474 riders

Under 24 = 31
25 -34 163
35-44 150
45-54 60
55-64 13
65 & Over 1

Which means either I can't add up or 56 are too shy to put in a DOB

I am always amazed at the lack of under 24 riders on the Strava segments, 65 and over is not well populated but you could attribute that to technology, but you would have thought if under 24's were riding they would be all over Strava like a rash. So that means not many ride.

Example Segment has 474 riders

Under 24 = 31
25 -34 163
35-44 150
45-54 60
55-64 13
65 & Over 1

Which means either I can't add up or 56 are too shy to put in a DOB
Which ones are the fastest though?

Top Bottom