It's bike lights again :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
It's coming up to that time of year again were my bike lights are starting to get used more often. I've always been a sucker for the latest bike lights lights and this year's been no exception. I got an E-mail from Halfords yesterday with there latest offers and one of them was for bike lights. Ever the fool I just had to pop into there store and check them out. After being relieved of £25 ,I came away with a new light. It's the Bike Hut 500 lumen light with an integrated Garmin holder and power bank to charge mobile phones / garmin computers /ect if the need ever arises. The combined Garmin / light bracket holds the computer out in front of the handle bars whilst the light attaches directly underneath it making the whole set look very neat and uncluttered along the front. The battery claims a 2 hour burn time on the full setting of 500 lumens and 75 hours on flashing mode.There also several other levels settings and modes in between. This is around 1 hour longer burn time ( on the 500 lumens) compared to my old light. There's also quite a nice digital display on the unit telling you how much battery life is left. Last night I went for a 30 mile bike ride and was very impressed with the light output. I took my Lezyne 500 lumen light as well to compare and found the Bike Hut light to be more a powerful far reaching light ,and of course a longer run time. The only niggling points I can find with the Bike Hut lights is the awkward recharging of it.The USB connector is a pain to connect compared to other lights I've had, and the battery indicators will face downwards when fitted to the Garmin mount. If you just use the normal handle bar mount that also comes with it, non of these small niggles are present. When taken into consideration, a Garmin mount alone can cost around £15 ,so I think this light is really good value. Time will tell as to longevity over the coming months I suppose ,but so far it's been really impressive and looks good on the bike. I think the built in power bank is a really good idea too. If you ever find your phones dead in an emergency it could be a god send, or that your Garmin device is running low on juice.
All the very best,
Johnny

I got a Volt 400 last year and its great and I have an older (circa 5years) volt 300 which is still good, a Cateye Loop front light and I probably have others (non usb) lying around. I couldn't find my Sabre 80 rear light though which I really like and saw it in the Rutland sale and I had £18 worth of points but it came with a front light so Ive got another https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/lights/niterider-swift-450-and-sabre-80-light-set_380197 :rolleyes:

First thoughts I'm quite pleased with its pretty neat integrated design and it'll be perfect for my current commute down the Cambridge Busway and I can't see me needing more than that for a while (especially in the morning). After the clocks change I may supplement it with the Volt 400

Sod's law the week after I found my Sabre 80 but you can never have too many lights :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
@johnnyb47 re the Bike Hut light, looks like a good buy, I especially like the garmin out front mount. Seems like it has a similar one bolt mounting system to the Lezyne, I've got a Lezyne 700 light similar to your 500 do you think you could also mount the Lezyne on the garmin out front mount? I'd spend the £25 just to be able to do this!

hoopdriver

Guru
Interesting phrasing, “from cheap but good to expensive and useless”. In my experience you tend to get what you pay for. I shelled out decent money for a German made Lupine headlamp quite a few years ago and I have used it extensively - since I ride year round and go out at 4:30am each morning I use it about nine months a year. It is utterly reliable, has a long burn time, nice spread and colour of light, and operates perfectly in all weathers. It never heats up, recharges swiftly, mounts securely and is easy to remove.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My words, not his. Have you read his reviews and checked the site?
Interesting comparisons on there.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@johnnyb47 re the Bike Hut light, looks like a good buy, I especially like the garmin out front mount. Seems like it has a similar one bolt mounting system to the Lezyne, I've got a Lezyne 700 light similar to your 500 do you think you could also mount the Lezyne on the garmin out front mount? I'd spend the £25 just to be able to do this!
Hi @wounderloaf.
Sorry for the late reply. The Bike Hut light simply screws into the Garmin bracket with a small bolt If the lezyne handle bar bracket also has a small bolt to attach it to the light I can't see why it wouldn't work. The only thing that my be a problem is that the bracket that attaches to the light had a small plastic dimple on the mating surface to keep the light locked in the forward position. The bike hut light has a small cut out for the dimple to fit in as the lezyne doesn't. I'm sure the dimple could be simply sanded back flush though ,and a piece of thin rubber sandwiched between the two parts to aid grip.
I hope this helps buddy. :-)

tyred

Legendary Member
I had to move the switch on my Busch an Muller dynamo powered lamp from Off to On.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi @wounderloaf.
Sorry for the late reply. The Bike Hut light simply screws into the Garmin bracket with a small bolt If the lezyne handle bar bracket also has a small bolt to attach it to the light I can't see why it wouldn't work. The only thing that my be a problem is that the bracket that attaches to the light had a small plastic dimple on the mating surface to keep the light locked in the forward position. The bike hut light has a small cut out for the dimple to fit in as the lezyne doesn't. I'm sure the dimple could be simply sanded back flush though ,and a piece of thin rubber sandwiched between the two parts to aid grip.
I hope this helps buddy. :-)
Hi @johnnyb47 , went up to Halfords to have a look at the lights and found they also sell the bracket separately for a tenner. Bought one and as you say fits OK although there is a small dimple that needs to be sanded down, no big deal. The Halfords bracket itself is a lot bigger than the garmin mount I've got but think it can be adapted to fit the garmin so overall I'm a happy bunny, thanks for posting!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5390931, member: 9609"]I don't often enthuse about gear, but, I got a Volt 800 before last winter, it certainly lights the road up, happy to ride at 25mph in the dark on wet roads - seriously impressive light. Easily does 2 hours on full power, used it extensively all through last winter and it never let me down, was using it tonight and the battery still seems good.[/QUOTE]
Second your recommendation for the Volt 800. Love mine too.

I got a Volt 400 last year and its great and I have an older (circa 5years) volt 300 which is still good, a Cateye Loop front light and I probably have others (non usb) lying around. I couldn't find my Sabre 80 rear light though which I really like and saw it in the Rutland sale and I had £18 worth of points but it came with a front light so Ive got another https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/lights/niterider-swift-450-and-sabre-80-light-set_380197 :rolleyes:

First thoughts I'm quite pleased with its pretty neat integrated design and it'll be perfect for my current commute down the Cambridge Busway and I can't see me needing more than that for a while (especially in the morning). After the clocks change I may supplement it with the Volt 400

Sod law the week after I found my Sabre 80 but you can never have too many lights :rolleyes:

Good to hear that about the 300 as I have one myself. I also have the Volt 1200 which I use on my road bike, typically on its half power setting but its full power mode is handy for those high speed downhill sections in the middle of the night. My volt 300 I still use for commuting or as a backup for longer night rides on my road bike. Both are great as general torches too.

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi @johnnyb47 , went up to Halfords to have a look at the lights and found they also sell the bracket separately for a tenner. Bought one and as you say fits OK although there is a small dimple that needs to be sanded down, no big deal. The Halfords bracket itself is a lot bigger than the garmin mount I've got but think it can be adapted to fit the garmin so overall I'm a happy bunny, thanks for posting!

wait I have asked this question in a separate thread.

So this light + a bracket fit on a Garmin mount? is it the mount with the 1/4 fixing for a garmin light beneath it? as per the pic?

Attachments

• IMG_2410.PNG
    IMG_2410.PNG
    90.1 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom