Its happened again doh !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.I hope your all well.
It's been a soggy week and cyclings been off the menu for the last 5 days, so tonight while the weather was half decent I dragged myself away from from the TV and got the bike out. Only last year this happened, but tonight it happened again.
I got caught up on the same route as the local time trialists doing there weekly 10 tt and felt it rude not to join in ( even if it was just for the last 5 miles ).
Blimey they can motor along!!.
I gave it everything I could for those pitiful 5 miles, but the guy who was up the road from me just slipped away gracefully into the distance, and then another one came flying past me as if I was standing stationary. I thoroughly enjoyed it though and had a few spectators clapping at me as I went past.
One of them even took a picture of me as I came tearing through a small village :-).
I've got a hell of a long way to go to get anywhere near those guys/gals,. One good thing though was that I achieved my best average speed ever of 17.7 mph over 16 miles tonight.
On a serious note I made sure I never got in anybody's way of ruining there hard work tonight.
Al av them next time ( I can always dream on lol) :-)

midlife

Guru
It's not as bad as actually being in the TT and being caught by your minute man :sad:

Shaun

Sharky

Guru
Why not have a go youself. You will be surprised how much quicker you will be after you have ridden a few. 20mph is very achievable.

And dont be put off by the fast riders. Some could be ex pro's or internationals even the likes of Bradley Wiggins.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Many years ago while touring with my wife in Belgium there seemed to be a lot of people on the pavements in a small town. Some of them cheered and clapped. We realised very soon we were mixed up in a kermesse. Aaaaargh scary stuff. Fortunately the spectators were helpful and made space to let us get off the street before the main peleton came past.

Reminds me of one of my first experiences of club racing. I'd not been riding for many months, just going out by myself exploring the local lanes. On one such ride I was overtaken then flagged down by a motorcyclist in a tabard to warn me that I was about to be overtaken by a road race. I'd never seen one before, in fact I'm not sure I'd even heard of one before. I pulled over and a few minutes later watched the lead car preceding a whoosh of shiny wheels and brightly coloured jerseys. It was just a local race, nothing special, but I was immediately hooked. I joined a club, spent the winter riding the clubruns, and the following spring was pinning on a number and taking part.

gbb

Legendary Member
At my fittest, around the age of 45 to 53 say, I could hammer myself and achieve 18 mph average over say 40 or 50 miles. That's a much bigger distance than 10 of course but I failed to see how the hell I could reach a basic 20mph average to do TTS...not that I aimed to, it just made me realise how these guys motor along .

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just done a couple of tens, my first in 30.02, which meant I had to go back the next week when I achieved 29.19. As drug addicts and alcoholics say, I can always stop.....

Ian193

Über Member
Alex Dowsett has been known to rock up and ride his local club TT on a Tuesday evening before now I know the guy who was his minute man the other week Alex posted a 19.03 for 10 miles caught his minute man inside 4 km

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just been reading the local paper and the some of the riders were doing the 10 tt in the low 20 minutes and nearly breaking into the 19 mins bar a few seconds off..No wonder I hadn't a chance of keeping up with them. They looked pretty serious guys with there carbon bikes and skin suits compared to me with my old steel bike and half hearted cycling clobber I was wearing.
As a point of interest what average speed would they of been doing to cover 10 miles in 20 minutes. My maths is not my strongest point :-)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Good grief. I don't think I go that fast in the car nowadays lol.
These guys are really good, there's no question about it, but what do the professionals usually do a ten in.

Top Bottom