Its nearly Autum

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Dangermouse, 14 Aug 2012.

1. Ok so the mucky weather is nearly upon us and this may seem like a silly question, but how do you keep a roadbike functioning as it should, when I had my MTB I simply hosed the mud off dried with a towel and regreased, is it the same for a roadbike or are the components more prone to fatigue during the wet cold months, and are there any tips you can pass on.

2. sittingbull

sittingbull Über Member

Just clean and lube as usual, probably even less than you would on the MTB (assuming you ride through less mud).

ACF-50 anti-corrosion spray is recommended by some. Personally I avoid anywhere that has been gritted (salted :eek: ) for a few weeks and for a good few downpours to wash it away. Failing that buy a winter hack as you can never have too many bikes ;)

3. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Autumn.

4. Its very close:blush: sorry forgot the n

Speicher likes this.
  5. Autumn? What happened to the Summer?? :rain:

6. We had that week in may

jazloc likes this.
  7. sittingbull

sittingbull Über Member

"Autumn" indeed :smile: ......but with hail in summer who knows :laugh:

Back when we had "true" seasons, Autumn requirements would be little/no different to those of Summer. Maybe switch to a wet lube and consider mud-guards. My response was in anticipation of the "cold months" :cold:

I'm still waiting for Summer :sun:

8. Well I'm away on saturday to photo some aircraft but sunday come hail or shine the Virago is getting its first outing, I have a route planned but its normally muddy if the weather is damp due to tractors all over the roads but its a 30m round trip so if I feel good enough for the full circuit or just a 10m ride.......its going out, this will be my first time on a bike in just over a year, and the virago's first ever

9. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

I want a refund.

10. sittingbull

sittingbull Über Member

Join the queue :laugh:

11. Summer was cancelled due to the Olympic games..........they cant have too many people enjoying themselves watching the road races in sunshine........can they

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Autumn - sod off. Hoping we get decent weather till November.

13. Dragonwight

Dragonwight Guest

I just got new shorts now I need new tights! Damn

14. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

My geared bike gets put away the weekend the clocks are changed, I ride fixed only through to the spring, The fixed gets the same treatment what ever time of year it is, it gets a weekly check over, if I find something that wants adjusting I'll adjust it, if it wants lubing I will lub it, if I see something that wants fixing I will fix it as soon as I can. Once a week it gets washed down and once every few weeks it gets a polish.

15. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

If I recall autumn was pretty decent last year I recall being out on the bike in the sun 17c in november brilliant bring it on :hyper:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice