Its nearly Autum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok so the mucky weather is nearly upon us and this may seem like a silly question, but how do you keep a roadbike functioning as it should, when I had my MTB I simply hosed the mud off dried with a towel and regreased, is it the same for a roadbike or are the components more prone to fatigue during the wet cold months, and are there any tips you can pass on.

sittingbull

Veteran
Just clean and lube as usual, probably even less than you would on the MTB (assuming you ride through less mud).

ACF-50 anti-corrosion spray is recommended by some. Personally I avoid anywhere that has been gritted (salted :eek: ) for a few weeks and for a good few downpours to wash it away. Failing that buy a winter hack as you can never have too many bikes ;)

sittingbull

Veteran
"Autumn" indeed :smile: ......but with hail in summer who knows :laugh:

Back when we had "true" seasons, Autumn requirements would be little/no different to those of Summer. Maybe switch to a wet lube and consider mud-guards. My response was in anticipation of the "cold months" :cold:

I'm still waiting for Summer :sun:

Well I'm away on saturday to photo some aircraft but sunday come hail or shine the Virago is getting its first outing, I have a route planned but its normally muddy if the weather is damp due to tractors all over the roads but its a 30m round trip so if I feel good enough for the full circuit or just a 10m ride.......its going out, this will be my first time on a bike in just over a year, and the virago's first ever

Crankarm

Guru
"Autumn" indeed :smile: ......but with hail in summer who knows :laugh:

Back when we had "true" seasons, Autumn requirements would be little/no different to those of Summer. Maybe switch to a wet lube and consider mud-guards. My response was in anticipation of the "cold months" :cold:

I'm still waiting for Summer :sun:

I want a refund.

D

Deleted member 1258

My geared bike gets put away the weekend the clocks are changed, I ride fixed only through to the spring, The fixed gets the same treatment what ever time of year it is, it gets a weekly check over, if I find something that wants adjusting I'll adjust it, if it wants lubing I will lub it, if I see something that wants fixing I will fix it as soon as I can. Once a week it gets washed down and once every few weeks it gets a polish.

Top Bottom