It's on days like these.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's on days like these, as I look out at rain being driven by 50 mph winds, that I remember a few years back when I first joined CC..
There were several members who would not be told that I "needed" a car, as I had at that time a 25 mile each way commute to work on busy trunk roads, and when I got there I was working shifts of at least 12 hours.
I am 50 years old, of reasonable fitness, but I still say that there is absolutely NO WAY on this earth that I would be out on a bike trying to get to or from work in this weather, on those roads. Even more so on dark winter mornings or nights. It would be verging on suicidal, or at best crass stupidity. This type of weather is far from unusual in these parts.

I can appreciate that others in more temperate areas of the country might be able to manage it, given that they probably only work 8 hour days, have shorter commutes, have showers and changing facilities at work, don't have to share the narrow trunk roads with constant heavy traffic, etc.. It would be good if those same members could appreciate that not all members circumstances are the same. Sometimes you do "need" a car.

Glad I got that off my chest! ^_^

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
:bravo:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Pretty much agree. Just cycle for pleasure rather than commuting and I have been much better lately at going out in bad weather. I will ride in heavy rain and light winds, but today with horizontal rain and gale force winds is a definite no go for me. I would like to remain alive to cycle another day.

Completely agree, with 1 minor difference!

I've just turned down moving to a house I like as it sits at the top of large hill, whichever way home I chose at the end of (potentially long days) its a 3.5 mile drag up along NSL A roads with no cycling provision. I trust myself to cycle on those type of roads occasionally but as an everyday commute in all weathers, I think I'm asking for trouble.

Only difference is I dont have a car as backup, no moral high ground I just dont need/want one right now and rely instead on trains/buses if I cant cycle commute.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Very windy ride into work today but, thanfully, it was a tailwind for 99% of the journey. Here's hoping it changes for the return leg.

GC
Was not bad today, compared to the past weekend.
Lots of cyclists about in Glasgow. When I left work at 8pm the wind had died down.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
well said Pat !

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
well said Pat !

With all due respect to Pat (who commutes Rutherglen to Glasgow SECC, about 4 miles each way on city streets and paths) and other commuters, the point I was trying to make was the combination of several factors. Weather, distance, time involved on top of 12 hour shifts, and worst of all - the A737 and A760. Utter madness IMHO.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
There were several members who would not be told that I "needed" a car, as I had at that time a 25 mile each way commute to work on busy trunk roads, and when I got there I was working shifts of at least 12 hours.

People don't "need" to have a 25 mile each-way commute. Most of us have to either live somewhere close to where we work, or find work close to where we live. Your reasoning is produced by a culture that has shaped itself around the demands of the private car.

al78

Guru
I know of someone who could prove the OP completely wrong....

.,,, I couldn't do it though.

The OP said that he couldn't do that commute, he did not say it was impossible for anyone to do it.

Hence the fact that someone else is capable of it does not in any way invalidate the OP's claims.

I can fully understand where the OP is coming from. I work office hours, am sat at a desk all day, have shower facilities, have less than half the distance of the OP to travel to work, am 15 years younger, can commute mostly on quiet country lanes and live in a part of the UK with a more benign climate than Ayrshire, and I find it tough occasionally.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
People don't "need" to have a 25 mile each-way commute. Most of us have to either live somewhere close to where we work, or find work close to where we live. Your reasoning is produced by a culture that has shaped itself around the demands of the private car.

Here we go ..... again!
I'll keep it short. Live where I do because it is near where I thought I was going to see out my working days. Ill health put paid to that. Re-trained several times for different jobs but all were hit by the recession. Finding local work around here is nigh on impossible; but having said that I AM now working locally but hopefully only in the short term. The pay is rock bottom (below NMW), but at least it is work. That is the result of the current employers market for you.

So, you say, move house then? You're just going to have to take my word for this; I have looked into the possibilities but it is simply not worth my while.

If you want the fuller version, here is the link to 17 pages of fuel price "debate" from last year, which got a wee bit heated.

BTW; the "culture that has shaped itself around the demands of the private car" was shaped by successive Government policies over several decades, and those self same Governments now want to rob us blind for using our cars. Perhaps they knew exactly what they were doing?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Here we go ..... again!
I'll keep it short. Live where I do because it is near where I thought I was going to see out my working days. Ill health put paid to that. Re-trained several times for different jobs but all were hit by the recession. Finding local work around here is nigh on impossible; but having said that I AM now working locally but hopefully only in the short term. The pay is rock bottom (below NMW), but at least it is work. That is the result of the current employers market for you.

So, you say, move house then? You're just going to have to take my word for this; I have looked into the possibilities but it is simply not worth my while.

If you want the fuller version, here is the link to 17 pages of fuel price "debate" from last year, which got a wee bit heated.

BTW; the "culture that has shaped itself around the demands of the private car" was shaped by successive Government policies over several decades, and those self same Governments now want to rob us blind for using our cars. Perhaps they knew exactly what they were doing?

Seen it, thanks. It's the one in which you said " you can keep your concrete wonderland", isn't it? If you start a thread provocatively, don't get shirty when someone responds with "bring it on".

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure why you needed to post or why the need to justify your postion nor get it off your chest?! There are ways around most obstcles none of which I will suggest. ;) Just be sure to make up the miles at the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom