It's on days like these.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
Bianchi1 has (although he denies it). But there are more imaginative choices than condemning his son to a daddy-taxi ride every week.

Name one for last weeks situation.

My son had a home match (2 miles from where we live) at 1 30 pm . I had volunteered to marshal at a local road race which finished at 1 pm. This was approximately 15 miles from where we live so no way of getting my son from the race to the match other than by car. There are no busses running on Sundays around me and the nearest rail station is ten miles away.

I could have left him at home by himself and let him ride to the match while I went to marshal the race but he is slightly to young and it would be irresponsible. I am a single parent so have extremely limited options when it comes to child care.

In the end I he got changed for football, came with me to marshal the race (well sat in the car and did his reading) then drove him to the match then back home.

When you come up with a better option than that (that doesn't involve someone else 'needing' to own a car) let me know.

And while you are at it the next match is in droitwich. 15 miles and 35 min by car. Any suggestions for this journey?

image.jpg

Public transport is a 7 hour round trip

image.jpg

I will be giving a lift to a couple of his teammates but if you have any better suggestions let me know.

I have never pushed either of my children into any activity. I have always let them choose their own path and accepted that I have a responsibility to enable them to undertake activities that make them happy.

I am however happy to join this threads jolly trolling attitude..

I need a car in order that I am not forced to live in areas that are surrounded by public transport. My car enables me to satisfy my responsibilities, both work and parental, while not forcing them to live in crowded, urban centres with high crime, social deprivation, poor air quality and all the associated problems, that include increased mental illness, road deaths, that come with living in these horrific concrete jungles. My childrens primary school had under 50 pupils (in total) and their (state) secondary school is surrounded by beautiful countryside, has a reputation second to none.

I think that anyone who CHOOSES not to run a car while bringing up young children in a city is basically responsible for child abuse.

bianchi1

Guru
Right still some way to go then.

What happens if you choose not to eat? What happens if you choose not to drive? Come on I'm sure you can figure it out ;)

Some have further to go than others! If you don't understand my point that, while eating is a need, individuals have free will to ignore that need. Obviously the results of choosing not to eat are worse than ignoring some individuals needs for motorised personal transport.

Here's an easier one for you to get your head around

Take water for example. Turn the taps off in most of the UK and you could argue that a need is not being met. I live near a spring so it would cause an inconvenience but I would cope. Vast parts of the world have no water supply to individual properties so it is not a human need, it just means more people live longer and easier lives.

You get where I'm going here..is running water a need or a choice?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So you are still that short of understanding, oh well.

The physical well being of a person is not dependant on their owning a large collection of steel, plastic, rubber and electronics. That it is possible to have the water supply turned off is pretty good proof that the requirement for water to be piped to one's house is not a 'need', though it may be desirable.

What you are repeatedly failing to grasp is the difference between a 'need' - something that is required for life; and something that is a desirable 'choice' - something that you feel improves your quality of life.

Your comment about 'child abuse' shows a basic lack of understanding of this concept, and asking people to show you how you could make your car dependant choices without using a car after making those choices shows how clearly you are missing the point.

Oh well, there's still a chance it may sink in ;)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I need a car in order that I am not forced to live in areas that are surrounded by public transport.
I've read some bonkers stuff on here before, but this is in a league of its own.

bianchi1

Guru
So you are still that short of understanding, oh well.

The physical well being of a person is not dependant on their owning a large collection of steel, plastic, rubber and electronics. That it is possible to have the water supply turned off is pretty good proof that the requirement for water to be piped to one's house is not a 'need', though it may be desirable.

What you are repeatedly failing to grasp is the difference between a 'need' - something that is required for life; and something that is a desirable 'choice' - something that you feel improves your quality of life.

Your comment about 'child abuse' shows a basic lack of understanding of this concept, and asking people to show you how you could make your car dependant choices without using a car after making those choices shows how clearly you are missing the point.

Oh well, there's still a chance it may sink in ;)

Looks like your definition of need is different from that of Collins dictionary

image.jpg

Yours is far more simple:

'need' - something that is required for life

Short, to the point and over simplistic.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Well it looks like we are back to the remedial work.

What would happen if you were told tomorrow that you were unfit to drive? For example, if you were diagnosed with epilepsy?

As a third of the country do not have a car, it is evident that cars are not needed for life in the UK, yet you choose to make more and more ludicrous 'reasons' for why you 'need' one. That you feel you need to defend your choices shows that you understand that they are choices. That you seek to shift the 'blame' for your choices to others shows that you are not comfortable with the choices you have made. It doesn't take much to understand this, but it does need you to step away from your own car-centric view point and actually think.

Oh and for trading dictionary listings: -

need
/nēd/
Verb
Require (something) because it is essential or very important: "I need help now".
Noun
Circumstances in which something is necessary, or that require some course of action; necessity: "the need for food".

bianchi1

Guru
Well it looks like we are back to the remedial work.

What would happen if you were told tomorrow that you were unfit to drive? For example, if you were diagnosed with epilepsy?

As a third of the country do not have a car, it is evident that cars are not needed for life in the UK, yet you choose to make more and more ludicrous 'reasons' for why you 'need' one. That you feel you need to defend your choices shows that you understand that they are choices. That you seek to shift the 'blame' for your choices to others shows that you are not comfortable with the choices you have made. It doesn't take much to understand this, but it does need you to step away from your own car-centric view point and actually think.

Oh and for trading dictionary listings: -

Love this.

Even in your definition it states that need is something that is "very important". Not exactly life or death, but very important.

Your statistics prove only that cars aren't a necessity in a third of the country...urban bias anyone!

If I were diagnosed with an illness that meant I could not drive I would receive funding from the government for taxis due to the lack of public transport options where I live. I know people that get such benefits.

I do refer you to the point I made earlier in the thread that an individuals path in life is not solely governed by choices. Outside influences beyond the control of the individual will impact the needs (things that are very important) that that individual must face.

For example I did choose to have children but I didn't choose to become a single parent.

subaqua

What’s the point
Love this.

Even in your definition it states that need is something that is "very important". Not exactly life or death, but very important.

Your statistics prove only that cars aren't a necessity in a third of the country...urban bias anyone!

If I were diagnosed with an illness that meant I could not drive I would receive funding from the government for taxis due to the lack of public transport options where I live. I know people that get such benefits.

I do refer you to the point I made earlier in the thread that an individuals path in life is not solely governed by choices. Outside influences beyond the control of the individual will impact the needs (things that are very important) that that individual must face.

For example I did choose to have children but I didn't choose to become a single parent.
none of which a car is, therefore a car is not a need.
you really think thats going top be a large sum of money do you. been there as a kid . it covers things like hospital appointments etc not just nipping down the shops.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I had volunteered to marshal at a local road race which finished at 1 pm.
A choice.
This was approximately 15 miles from where we live so no way of getting my son from the race to the match other than by car.
You both could have walked. A choice.
And while you are at it the next match is in droitwich. 15 miles and 35 min by car. Any suggestions for this journey?

I will be giving a lift to a couple of his teammates but if you have any better suggestions let me know.
Well done. A good choice. And one of the people you're ferrying next week could have given your son a lift this week. If he really needs a lift to travel two miles.
I need a car in order that I am not forced to live in areas that are surrounded by public transport. My car enables me to satisfy my responsibilities, both work and parental, while not forcing them to live in crowded, urban centres with high crime, social deprivation, poor air quality and all the associated problems, that include increased mental illness, road deaths, that come with living in these horrific concrete jungles.
As TC says, that's an utterly daft thing to have written - you really ought to be ashamed of it. You're pretending to be forced to do something that you've freely chosen of your own volition. Unlike brandane, your choices are pretty unconstrained.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2420115 said:
Are you sure about that? For epilepsy? Covering ferrying your son to football?
It might be true now. It certainly won't be in a few years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom