It's.....so......pretty......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did live in Essex (about 2miles from here). It was orange. Didn't like it. Luckily it wasn't anything horrific like south of the river.
(I'm only on page 10 of this thread, so apologies if this has caught up)

I saw your avatar this afternoon - truly - and he seems quite happy south of the river.

(he was also my first UK celebrity sighting at a Chiswick cinema, waiting to buy a ticket to A Simple Plan, and a few months ago on the chair next to me getting his hair cut. I thanked him for his work on Girls. Charmer.)

No....... It's........ Not.........

It's a fricking mobile computer.

HTH, folks.

That's a TMN to me.

Yup. That's where "you" live and where "you" get your hair cut. (zone 4, south of the river)

Last edited:
So this facial recognition thing - does it work if you're wearing a mask, a motorbike helmet, a burqua ...?

The android (Moto G, 1st gen is the one I used, can't remember which version of android it was) version allowed you to take as many images as you liked to compare with. Glasses, no glasses, different lighting, hat, scarves etc. More images meant more likelihood of a match ,but presumably more likelihood of a false positive. Holding your phone up to your face with good light was more of a pain than the other unlocking methods, so soon went back to passcode.

Eventually facial recognition unlocking will be so seamless that you won't even be aware it's doing it. We'll see if apple have reached that point yet.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Eventually facial recognition unlocking will be so seamless that you won't even be aware it's doing it. We'll see if apple have reached that point yet.
Microsoft (surface laptop) already is in most light conditions.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Microsoft (surface laptop) already is in most light conditions.
I'd be amazed if it wasn't almost perfect since its going to be used for Apple Pay. For years fingerprint technology had been dodgy and they made it work for that.

Tim Hall

But my final thought - I am indeed retired, and managed to do so at 47 because I didn't go around spending £1300+ on phone handsets. If people want to work into their sixties or later to fund such a lifestyle then thats their call.
I'm older than you, but not retired. I've never spent money, let alone £1300, on phone hand sets. Where did I go wrong?

<goes off to count number of bikes in Seecrit Bunker>

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd be amazed if it wasn't almost perfect since its going to be used for Apple Pay. For years fingerprint technology had been dodgy and they made it work for that.
As long as it (almost) never gives false postive matches users will put up with false negatives.

AndyRM

XOXO
FB_IMG_1505751064923.jpg

Top Bottom