its the logo and not the lycra that makes me look silly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
raindog said:
You'd find me pretty uncool then, as I don't even know WTF a shift key is....:biggrin:

You obviously do, as you've used it in that post...

(Capital letters, dear boy, capital letters...:biggrin:)

raindog

er.....
Ta - now I do know. Not a typing or 'puter expert me. :biggrin:

I did some work for Casualty (the TV drama) wardrobe dept a few years ago. The storyline was that one of a group of elderly riders had taken ill during a charidee ride. I managed to wangle one of the jerseys, featuring the name of the cycling club to which the characters belonged; Barnham Wheelers.

It's hard to explain the pleasure one derives from wearing the shirt of an imaginary cycling club which existed for just 45 mins on a long forgotten episode of a crappy soap opera.

At one point in the eighties it dawned on me that I owned no non-cycling gear whatsoever. Used to go to clubs in my usual lycra shorts, trade jerseys and cloth caps, the doormen used to think I had made a proper effort.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
It's hard to explain the pleasure one derives from wearing the shirt of an imaginary cycling club which existed for just 45 mins on a long forgotten episode of a crappy soap opera.

Oh, yes, I understand that! That's cool...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lycra looks great on cyclists with a good figure and awful on those without. Simple.

Bad:

2562231573_9f8e391b41.jpg

Good:

_42854387_cycling_416.jpg

gavintc

Guru
My previous commute involved taking the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. I used to get off the train early on the homeward leg to get some cycling in. I used to sit on the train in full lycra. People got used to me, although I did notice that the seat next to me was always the last in the carriage to be taken - lycra does have some advantages!

Fattman

I used to be sniffy about the full team kit wearers, especially if there was a degree of squeezing to get in them... Then I felt that this was a little unkind; I guess people wear as a kind of 'fandom' - it's a small connection with the stars they would love to be. So now I think, what the hell, if it makes them that bit happier, then go for it!

Not rushing out for an Astana head-to-toe anytime soon, mind. (But I do quite like the blue Milram cow kit! Mooooo!)

lesley_x

Über Member
numbnuts said:
I go shopping in my lycra gear, I'm even going today to the dentist, dam it if I'm on my bike it's cycling gear I don't care what people think.

I know. Hopefully when I've been cycling for a bit longer I'll be able to go out in just lycra. I wear baggies over them at the minute and it's definitely not as comfortable. Hopefully when I shift a few pounds I'll be able to have an attitude like yours!

I admire your courage :blush:

DavieB

MIA
HLaB said:
Another similar idea are baggy shorts such as Endura Hummvee's they a have a removable lycra undershorts.

I really cant commit to spending 40 quid on a pair of short untill I have definitely proved to myself Im going to stick this. Just about to go jump on the bike for a 20 mile round trip. :blush: wonder how that will go lol

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a Livestrong jersey that I sometimes wear. Also have the wristband. No one has ever said anything derogatory to me about either. :blush:

I also have a Foska Ipayroadtax.com jersey and an Organgrinder (pictures of your internal organs on it).

As for team kit, if you feel a particular affinity for a team go for it! It's only the same as a replica football or rugby shirt.

As an informal rule I'd stay away from the TdF jerseys. I for one can't resist chasing down a yellow jersey just for the hell of it. :laugh:

colinr

Thoes Hummvees are nice, watch the sizing though, they come up very snug. Full lycra is really comfortable, I do it sometimes but not too much in case someone mistakes me for a serious cyclist.

As an informal rule I'd stay away from the TdF jerseys. I for one can't resist chasing down a yellow jersey just for the hell of it.

And definitely avoid polka dot jerseys if you live in Norfolk :blush:

Top Bottom