It's the Summer Solstice tomorrow. Anyone planning any Druid stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dang nab'it.. I'm going to have to sacrifice a yew tree now! :cry:
Summer Solstice - Alban Hefin
The name for the festival of the Summer Solstice in Druidry is Alban Hefin, which means 'The Light of the Shore'. Druidry has a great respect and reverence for places that are 'in between' worlds. The seashore is one such place, where the three realms of Earth, Sea and Sky meet. There is great power in places such as these. It is the time of greatest light when the Solar God is crowned by the Goddess as the King of Summer. It also brings some sadness because from now until Alban Arthan, the Sun's strength is declining and we have entered the waning year. For some this is the time of the Dark Twin, or Holly King, who is born and will take his crown at Alban Arthan. Of all the festivals Druidry is mostly associated with Alban Hefin. The wonderful white-robed figures filmed at the dawn rituals at Stonehenge are testament to this. However, to many Druids it is the turning seasons and the cycle of life, death and rebirth - reflected in the Wheel of the Year in its completeness - which are significant.

Some of the Irish wisdom texts are very specific about the ethical teachings of the Druids. There are several “wisdom texts”, or accounts of teachings imparted by Druids or other significant people in old Irish society. Sometimes these teachings were offered at the ceremony of inaugurating a new chieftain, to teach the candidate how to be a good chieftain. Sometimes the teachings were intended for the speaker’s own children or grandchildren, to teach them how to become mature adults. Here is an example of the latter:. Cormac mac Airt is asked by his grandson Carbre “what were your habits when you were a lad?” Cormac replies as follows:

I was a listener in woods,
I was a gazer at stars,
I was blind where secrets were concerned,
I was silent in a wilderness,
I was talkative among many,
I was mild in the mead-hall,
I was stern in battle,
I was ready to watch,
I was gentle in friendship,
I was a physician of the sick,
I was weak towards the strengthless,
I was strong toward the powerful,
I never was hard lest I be satirised,
I never was feeble lest I should have my hair stripped off,
I was not close lest I should be burdensome,
I was not arrogant though I was wise,
I was not given to promising though I was strong,
I was not venturesome, though I was swift,
I did not deride old people, though I was young,
I was not boastful though I was a good fighter,
I would not speak about anyone in his absence,
I would not reproach, but I would praise,
I would not ask, but I would give,
For it is through these habits that the young become old and kingly warriors. (Instructions of Cormac, § 7

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well, I awoke at about 03:45 with the thought of popping out to see the sun rise.
I then promptly turned over and went back to sleep again :blush:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Erm...can I just point out, as a spoil sport, that modern Druids are a Victorian invention.....landed men and women with far to much time and money on their hands, prancing around in bedsheets...a bit like today's Goths, but with out the bedsheets, and the money...
Boring, but true. IIRC, "Druids" appear in one place in ancient literature, in Tacitus's account of the last stand of the Britons on Anglesey. The obsession with the solstices was from several thousand years earlier in history when all the various stone circles and other monuments were built, but until the rise of scientific archaelogy in the 20th century timelines of ancient history were a little confused.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Well, I awoke at about 03:45 with the thought of popping out to see the sun rise.
I then promptly turned over and went back to sleep again :blush:

You were probably wise.

1.JPG

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Boring, but true. IIRC, "Druids" appear in one place in ancient literature, in Tacitus's account of the last stand of the Britons on Anglesey. The obsession with the solstices was from several thousand years earlier in history when all the various stone circles and other monuments were built, but until the rise of scientific archaelogy in the 20th century timelines of ancient history were a little confused.
...and only a handful of stone circles appear to 'line up'. My theory is that they built the circles because they looked good.

Top Bottom