its winter people!, what are you wearing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suecsi

Normal clothes - but with hidden padded shorts under my smart dress for work (made from a jersey fabric as it doesn't crease easily) - a lightweight cardigan, scarf (neck is the bit that gets coldest on me), and a bright pink/red trenchcoat. Buggered am I looking like a workman and my theory is I stand out in a sea of yellow. But then I ride a Brompton 2 miles from Waterloo, so don't need anything too flashy.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm totally new to this. So I have kit to build up on over time. I'm used to the elements as I normally ride a motorbike so know the importance of the right gear.
Is the Aldi stuff any good? Might pop in to see.
Matt

If you're cycle fashion conscious, Aldi (and just behind Aldi, LiDL) gear is probably not for you. But on a cheap-yet-still-value-for-money basis, it's very serviceable. Their blackcurrant sweets by Dominion, are also very moreish :tongue:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
deptfordmarmoset said:
If you're cycle fashion conscious, Aldi (and just behind Aldi, LiDL) gear is probably not for you. But on a cheap-yet-still-value-for-money basis, it's very serviceable. Their blackcurrant sweets by Dominion, are also very moreish :tongue:

One thing I've never been accused of is being fashion conscious! So I'm sure it'll be good enough.
And I'm trying to cut out sweets and things to loose weight! But I might have to check them out!
whistling.gif

knitgirl

I wear normal work clothes with a Lidl soft shell running jacket or Aldi soft shell cycling jacket and normal shoes/boots. When it rains wear my Lidl waterproof (inside and out unfortunately) cycling jacket.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Today it was Aldi long sleeve shirt, Dare2be bamboo softshell, Dare2Be windshirt, Speg bibshorts, Aldi legwarmers, cotton socks and Spesh Carbon Expert shoes -couldn't find my overshoes, and I haven't cleated up my Goretex Northwave boots so my feet were sodden
sad.gif

Norm

The same polycotton walking trousers and t shirt that I wear all year with a thin windproof over the top as it was raining today.

I can't ride in my gimp suit, it's too tight and my arse squeaks when I pedal.

Bluebell72

Helmet, with berghaus ski band thing underneath

sunglasses

thermal long sleeve top

altura night vision l/s zip top

padded shorts

clippy shoes and red socks

wind vest in pannier, with fleece in case

It's not cold yet - was about 8 degrees when I left home yesterday and this morning, light drizzle.
Red legs remind me I'm alive and breathing in fresh air, not sat in the car commuting :becool:

Jessie.JPG

"This Winter I am be mostly wearing Aldi Winter Riding Kit!" :thumbsup:

I feel like I'm looking in a mirror :biggrin:

Mixture of Aldi/Karrimor/Polaris clothes, walking shoes (no clips) and a helmet sans skulcap.

This year as I have the Aldi jacket I'm looking forward to not wearing the Polaris waterproof top all winter as a cycling jacket, you do tend to boil in it!

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Helmet (with camera of course)
Aldi cycling shoes
Aldi cycling socks
Aldi base layer (vest, or long sleeved if below 6C)
Karrimor cycling top (short sleeved above 10C, Long sleeved otherwise)
Karrimor lycra padded longs (shorts if above 14C)
----- or LIDL longs when it gets below 4C, LIDL Bib longs blow 1C,
----- plus unpadded lycra shorts over the top below -2C
Thin knitted balaclava below 4C
ALDI gloves
Karrimor outer shell in wet. (Very effective one-way action: keeps the sweat in, but allows the rain to pass through freely.)
ALDI jacket waiting, but not used yet.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just shorts and T shirt year round here. Some warm gloves if it drops below 40F (4c). I'm lucky not to feel the cold much and soon warm up after a mile or so. If it's wet, (which it v. rarely is hereabouts) I've got less stuff to dry out at work. Also lucky to have decent changing room and shower at work.

calibanzwei

So far, same thing I've been wearing most of the year - knee length shorts, technical top, hi-vis (when its dark), fingerless padded gloves.

hello

i've a turbo trainer i used last winter but i'm thinking i want to get out the odd day this year

i have a pair of 3/4 bib shorts

could i get away with a pair of leg warmers, not sure i want to go the whole hog and another pair of winter full length bibs

are leg warmers known for having a bit of freedom of movement

pshore

Hey, this isn't winter, its autumn!

I am breaking out the long tights and a long sleeve top plus gillet.

Once it gets to 7c or below I will go to one layer plus w*proof jacket with every ventillation zip open. I also go for fleece gloves and a head tube or buff for my ears and forehead. I like a hole in the top to dump heat.

From 5c down I add m&s thermals under cycling tights.

Last winter the worst Cambridgeshire threw at me was -7c three mornings in a row and 2 snowy commutes. Relatively warm compared to other parts.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Scarfs for head and neck. Long thick coat. Jeans and a top while going to uni. Wear abit more clothes though they are taken off when i reach the station cos that is abit more warmer then being outside.

Top Bottom