ITV 4 Tour coverage .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
For years i used to tape the coverage ,and spend weeks afterwards looking back .

This year it seems rubbish stale and old .Far too much talking and not enough action .And the commercial breaks do my head in .

Good old Eurosport .Sorry Phil and Paul you have lost me now .

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's getting like their F1 coverage -which everyone was glad to see the back of .

I switched to Freesat/ITV4 as I heard that the free-to-air Eurosport would be closing down which was a big mistake.

Debian

We don't have Sky so ITV4 is our only option.
icon_sad.gif

Coverage is rubbish!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
ITV4 coverage is all we've got without subscription, the ad breaks are many and long but if that's what it takes to pay for it then we have to live with it or get Sky (not me that's for sure!). I don't think the programme is so bad and it's certainly better than nothing which is what we had for ages.

I don't watch the live coverage as I find it too time consuming and not altogether interesting. (I felt the same about American Football when I was into that a few years ago - the highlights show was more exciting and took less than 4 hours to watch!). In the case of the TdF highlights show, we record it then watch it later whizzing over the adverts.

I don't watch the live coverage as I find it too time consuming and not altogether interesting. (I felt the same about American Football when I was into that a few years ago - the highlights show was more exciting and took less than 4 hours to watch!). In the case of the TdF highlights show, we record it then watch it later whizzing over the adverts.

+1

I find fast forwarding the adverts in the highlights show fills just enough time at the end of the news to watch before going to bed.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
never been the same since c4 did away with the old theme tune which everyone though was kraftwerk but wasn't.

i'm still waiting for a reprise of the cycling weekly ad "two pork pies and a strawberry yohurt"…

that said, i record itv's highlights show as you just never know with eurosport. oh, and i tend to flip back and forth on the live coverage so there's no ad breaks in the action.

Over the weekend I recorder the live coverage ITV4 and watched it later fast forwarding the adverts and watching the not much happening bits in at double speed or faster. Some good bits in the mountains were left out of the highlights due to time constraints. I agree highlights are too much presenter in front of camera time and not enough race coverage. At least they are asking riders about their own race in interviews rather than their opinions in British riders.

Crankarm

Guru
Over the weekend I recorder the live coverage ITV4 and watched it later fast forwarding the adverts and watching the not much happening bits in at double speed or faster. Some good bits in the mountains were left out of the highlights due to time constraints. I agree highlights are too much presenter in front of camera time and not enough race coverage. At least they are asking riders about their own race in interviews rather than their opinions in British riders.

I guess concentrating on too much actual race footage wouldn't maximise revenue and for which ITV4 has to pay for as opposed to showing ads which brings them money. It's a fine balance as if they misjudge it and lose audience then their sponsors wouldn't be very impressed I would have thought.

I guess concentrating on too much actual race footage wouldn't maximise revenue and for which ITV4 has to pay for as opposed to showing ads which brings them money. It's a fine balance as if they misjudge it and lose audience then their sponsors wouldn't be very impressed I would have thought.

I'm an advertiser's nightmare. Anything with adverts in it gets recorded and watched later so I can fly over them. Either that or we pause the tv, go and make a cuppa, then fast forward over the ads and get back to the programme. I didn't mind so much in the 'old days' when the ads lasted less time and were less frequent, but nowadays it feels like a quarter to a third of the 'programme' is actually adverts.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If I have time I watch the live coverage on Eurosport HD and if not I record the ITV 4 highlights. Eurosport highlights don't do series link for some reason.

Although I fast forward through the adverts in the ITV 4 highlights there only seems to be 3 breaks in the hour which is the same as for most programes, one every 15 mins or so.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Agree with others, best timeshifted and watched with the ads cut out. I find Phil & Paul's commentary excellent and Boardman provides some useful insight but frankly could do without Imlach and the Scottish lass who's doing odd bits.

And I too preferred the old theme, particularly the longer version sometimes played in the weekend summary programmes. I enquired years ago whether a recording was available but was told it was 'library music' (with the title Grand Designs) but was not available on tape/record.

sheddy

Legendary Member
On sunday evening, I just flicked over to the WC footie final during each ITV ad break to see if anyone had scored. And they hadn't

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I find it hard to take those little 'route analysis' skits from Chris Boardman, they are so cheesy, just an extra advert for his bikes on top of the halfords sponsorship messages.

Top Bottom