I've been waiting for this day, 2015 Giant Defy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Yum...

As Defy fan, this is an exciting read....

http://road.cc/content/news/123546-giant-launch-all-new-defy-range-disc-brakes

Giant%20Defy%20Advanced%20SL.JPG

BSRU

A Human Being
Doesn't putting disc brakes on all the carbon fibre models limit the market a bit, due not being able to be used in a competitive road race.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Only the Defy range has been revealed, it's likely the TCR range will stay with rim brakes for now IMHO.

I'm not so sure on some of those colour schemes though.

Cyclist33

Only the Defy range has been revealed, it's likely the TCR range will stay with rim brakes for now IMHO.

I'm not so sure on some of those colour schemes though.

Well the Defy has been raced recently on the cobbles I believe by the pro team so yes it could be a consideration if disc brakes are a no-no.

On the other hand, I'm 100% certain Giant could and would make a rim version of the bike if they were required to.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
OK, but giant wheels tend to be made of cheese, which wheel upgrade is ready for this bike?

Berties

Fast and careful!
Doesn't putting disc brakes on all the carbon fibre models limit the market a bit, due not being able to be used in a competitive road race.
the defy was designed more for upmarket leisure riding where as the propel and the tcr more aggressive racing,the carbon wheels will enjoy stopping in the wet with the disks,but its horses for courses,my propel has concealed brakes hidden behind font forks and frame,

MikeW-71

Veteran
How do you adjust the seat height?
With an integrated seat post, it has to be cut to length. Then the cage the saddle is mounted on still has a little up and down adjustment. Cut it too short and you need a new frame.

Only the Defy Advanced SL has that though, all the others are conventional sliding seatposts.

MikeW-71

Veteran
OK, but giant wheels tend to be made of cheese, which wheel upgrade is ready for this bike?
Oh, I dunno, the stock wheels on my Defy 2 have had no issues at all after nearly 3000 miles. The P-SL1's on my Advanced are significantly better though.

That is a good point though, there aren't a lot of road disc-brake wheels around.... yet. At least this is a second manufacturer that has properly taken the plunge with this, which should encourage things.

Top Bottom