I've fitted lights on the narrow down stays of the frame(photos).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are some good observations in the replies, thank you. I'm always keen to learn from the opinions & ideas of others.

The brake pads are "Salmon Kool Stop", made in the USA and bought from a fleabay seller, £10 per pair. I put them on because the original blocks were picking up tiny particles of aluminium and scoring grooves in my rims.

The cassette does indeed need a clean. I sometimes use lengths of garden twine to get deep down between each gear cog. It does take a bit longer, but cleans them up nicely.

I don't know what Sunny means about "pipes", and paint?

Good observation about crossed spokes just on one side. ( makes it a tad harder to get a cloth right in there when cleaning too).

I've bought another light and I agree, a matching pair would look better.

P clips would make a neater job. The Cateye mounts seem to be made from thicker plastic which is good.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are some good observations in the replies, thank you. I'm always keen to learn from the opinions & ideas of others.

The brake pads are "Salmon Kool Stop", made in the USA and bought from a fleabay seller, £10 per pair. I put them on because the original blocks were picking up tiny particles of aluminium and scoring grooves in my rims.

The cassette does indeed need a clean. I sometimes use lengths of garden twine to get deep down between each gear cog. It does take a bit longer, but cleans them up nicely.

I don't know what Sunny means about "pipes", and paint?

Good observation about crossed spokes just on one side. ( makes it a tad harder to get a cloth right in there when cleaning too).

I've bought another light and I agree, a matching pair would look better.

P clips would make a neater job. The Cateye mounts seem to be made from thicker plastic which is good.
The Cateye ones I posted the picture to are designed to replace the standard seatpost mount (they're serrated to fit the bracket correctly) and can be got in 2 sizes (a thin version for Steel frames and a slightly larger for Aluminium/Carbon jobs.)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ckets/&usg=AFQjCNFzLUlTyGfgt0x0VyMeUfpkMbobvQ

I don't know what Sunny means about "pipes", and paint?.
This would be my guess ;)

pipes.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Always used to fit the rear light to the offside seatstay, and lights came with a suitable bracket, so that the light could be fitted near horizontal, and parallel with the bike. I've yet to find a bracket that does this with modern lights. The light on the nearside of the photo is angled towards the kerb, and the offside is angled upwards. Both to avoid conflict with the seatstays. The brackets need to move the light away from the stay to allow adjustment.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Looks neat, proviso is that the lower your lights are mounted the further away you look. I don't know whether having "twin" lights would exacerbate this.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's how the lights on my audax bike are set up - one on each side.
on my commuter i have one on the back loop of each bag in a similar place and one on the seatpost .

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We wouldn't have to mount lights on the seat stays if saddlebag manufacturers recognised the fact that some cyclists do, in fact, use rear lights. :rolleyes: I've never understood why almost no saddlebags have mounting points for lights.

We wouldn't have to mount lights on the seat stays if saddlebag manufacturers recognised the fact that some cyclists do, in fact, use rear lights. :rolleyes: I've never understood why almost no saddlebags have mounting points for lights.

The reason could be because the material that they are made of is not rigid enough to provide steady support for a light?

Back in the "Hovis days" :okay: the saddle bags I saw on bikes seemed to be made of leather. However I only ever recall seeing reflectors on saddle bags not lights. In them days, bikes were made with brackets that fitted the standard "Ever ready" brand of lights. Lots of bikes had dynomos then too.

Top Bottom