I've fitted lights on the narrow down stays of the frame(photos).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Using lengths of old inner tube for packing material, I've now fitted a couple of lights on the down stays.

Judging by the diameter of the brackets that come with lights, I tend to think that they are all intended to be mounted on the seat post or similar. I originally had a light mounted on a saddle bag via a small home-made bracket, but it tended to restrict the opening of the bag.

I'm very pleased with the lights on the down-stays.
20170520_135233.jpg
20170520_135305.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's how the lights on my audax bike are set up - one on each side.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If you are going to use the bike in wet weather can I suggest you carry a small cloth with you as they will get filthy and on a decent length ride you may need to clean them mid ride..

freiston

Veteran
With no rack or guards, I reckon that's what I'd want for positioning back lights. Two lights not only improves visibility for both sides of the bike but gives you a 'back-up' should one fail. I would worry about a stem-mounted light getting obscured by clothing (I do sometimes wear non-cycling specific coats on the bike). UK law would not allow a primary light to be mounted on a bag. That particular bit of the frame where your lights are mounted is more commonly referred to as the seat stay.

I've just noticed that your drive-side spokes are crossed but your non-drive-side ones are radial - I'm not very familiar with a lot of the modern bike world - is this common-place on lightweight bikes nowadays?

tyred

Legendary Member
Get small P-Clips in the right size and use them to replace the large diameter clips that came with the lights. You won't need the tube then.

freiston

Veteran
Come to think of it, the last couple of battery powered rear bike lights that I bought both came with two straps/clips - one sized for seat posts and the other for seat stays (the first got converted to fit a carrier, the second converted to mount on the mudguard).

Top Bottom