I've gotten really uncomfortable on my bike and I don't know why

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe it's the cycling Gods punishing the OP for using the word 'gotten' in the thread title?
nowt wrong with "gotten"
tis technically a British English word that has fallen out of use, but I am another that uses it all the time.

OED, As past participles of get, got and gotten both date back to Middle English. The form gotten is not used in British English but is very common in North American English, though even there it is often regarded as non-standard. In North American English, got and gotten are not identical in use. Gotten usually implies the process of obtaining something, as in he had gotten us tickets for the show, while got implies the state of possession or ownership, as in I haven’t got any money.

and

Gotten is correct, and very old. In England many people wrongly assume that gotten is a modern Americanism, but the truth is the English more-or-less stopped using it, and have forgotten (!) that they used to use it.

That said, "gotten" isn't good English. In most cases other, more precise and meaningful words should be used in its place.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Maybe it's the cycling Gods punishing the OP for using the word 'gotten' in the thread title?

Oh dear, I'm so sorry :blush:

If it is the same spot getting sore each and every time, is the skin red in that area? (a mirror will help). If it is can I suggest you apply savlon to it 2 or 3 times a day and ensure you keep the area clean and dry. (Savlon works wonders on stopping saddle sores developing).
Otherwise, and not to put too fine a point on it, how often are the cycling shorts getting washed and with what?

I'm not really sore while cycling, I'm uncomfortable. Maybe sore was the wrong word to use.

My shorts get washed after every ride with non bio washing powder.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry :blush:
I'm not really sore while cycling, I'm uncomfortable. Maybe sore was the wrong word to use.

My shorts get washed after every ride with non bio washing powder.
you may just be starting to develope a sore spot. It happens and happened a lot on tour for us in a hot humid climate...
putting Savlon or another antiseptic cream won't hurt the area and if you find it is feeling better after a couple of applicaitons you will have an idea as to the cause or at least ruled one out...

Just a random though - do you always use the same shorts? I ask because on tour, some of the stitching failed on the padding on mine and I got a sore spot where the thread was hanging down before I had noticed there was an issue...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

you may just be starting to develope a sore spot. It happens and happened a lot on tour for us in a hot humid climate...
putting Savlon or another antiseptic cream won't hurt the area and if you find it is feeling better after a couple of applicaitons you will have an idea as to the cause or at least ruled one out...

Just a random though - do you always use the same shorts? I ask because on tour, some of the stitching failed on the padding on mine and I got a sore spot where the thread was hanging down before I had noticed there was an issue...

I'll try the savlon thing today. I have three pairs of shorts, one pair is brand new and I'm getting the same uncomfortable-ness as my six month old pair of shorts.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Thanks to mr messy for lending me a Ritchey saddle, I've now fitted it to my bike and it's much flatter than my Charge Spoon - I'll be out on a test ride tomorrow so hopefully this has eliminated the uncomfortableness!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I was out on the bike for an hour tonight with the Ritchey saddle, it's just as bad and as uncomfortable as ever :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Did you not get new wheels recently? Di you also get new tyres to go with the wheels? Could that be a factor?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Did you not get new wheels recently? Di you also get new tyres to go with the wheels? Could that be a factor?

I doubt the wheels are the cause. I'm comfortable and fine for about 10 minutes before I start getting sore, it's driving me mad because I want to go on some rides while the weather's nice :cry:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I doubt the wheels are the cause. I'm comfortable and fine for about 10 minutes before I start getting sore, it's driving me mad because I want to go on some rides while the weather's nice :cry:
What's getting sore so quick? Even the most uncomfortable position shouldn't get sore that quick?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have sore bits (ahem)? Try some savlon or Sudocrem but you'll probably need to give it time to heal.

Top Bottom