I've gotten really uncomfortable on my bike and I don't know why

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^^ +1 seat too high which will be causing rocking of your hips side to side.
my understanding is that your toes should not be poitning downwards when cycling, it causes achilies tendon problems. I am pretty certain they should be much flatter.

You have recently gone over to padded shorts haven't you? You have to drop your saddle height a touch to take the padding into account, it effectively makes your saddle higher when sitting on the seat because your hips are a tad higher.. think that made sense.

Saddle looks high. Should be slight bend in knee when foot flat on pedal at bottom of stroke not with toes pointing down. Looks like stretching which would cause you to roll hips whilst pedaling Think kneecap should also be in line with pedal when horizontal, seat too far forward?

zizou

Veteran
+1 to the seat looking a bit high

Think you mentioned that you changed saddle recently? That might be part of the problem - different models of saddle can have slightly different heights from the saddle rails to the bit you sit on.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Looks like maybe lowering the seatpost will also lower your center of gravity and help you with your unfortunate circumstance, making things better all the ways around. Your heel should be able to touch the pedal with a slight bend in your leg at the bottom of the stroke. It looks to me from the first picture that you are having trouble reaching the bottom of the stroke with your toes, indicating your seatpost may be too high .This may be causing you to slide back and forth across the saddle, perhaps causing your problems. Other may have other views on this matter. Bikefit can be as divisive as American politics.

The general rule of thumb is that your leg would be full extended with your heel on the pedal, then by moving to the proper riding position you introduce the "right" amount of bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Obviously it is an estimate and those with very small or large feet will find it largely useless.

That being said, to me the saddle does look a little high, I would like to see more bend in the knee.

Broadside

Guru
Jazloc: nothing to add about your position on the bike, but nice choice of winter jersey, I've got the same one ^_^. The ZipVit clothing is amazing quality for the price, I am surprised more people don't wear it, granted the logos are pretty loud...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Came across this link (from the thread on Hill Training advice). It's worth a read - and notice the section about Tight Hamstrings and their effect on Saddle height: the angle of the leg at the knee should be between 145* and 155*. From your pics, it would appear that your leg is too straight = reduce saddle height, as many have posted above. :wahhey:

From the way you were riding on our last CC Ecosse ride, you managed to get up the hills (generously staying back to make sure I was OK ;) + :thanks:) - and here was me thinking you were genuinely keeping an eye to make sure I was not falling off :blush: , while all the time it was because you were uncomfortable on your bike ! :ohmy:

Also, remember that it is still 'only' March; it is central Scotland :cold: ; the 'season' has not really started yet; there is plenty of time to get fit for the summer warmer weather :sun:.

ps I managed 66.15 kph :hyper: (downhill) when out with edindave on Tuesday - and the cap stayed on ! :wahhey:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Jaz, you never mentioned that you haven't seen a doc yet!
Better go, eh, me thinks :thumbsup:
Also, since the last time I saw you, it seems from the pictures you have grown a bit, got skinnier too!
Your saddle was not that up, I would have noticed when I almost crashed into the back of you :blush:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
your carpet needs a hoover and the radiator could do with a paint

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Right, is this any better? I've moved the saddle down a considerable amount

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

Looks better but pic angle not perfect! :rolleyes: Put your heal on pedal at lowest point, looking for leg to be pretty much straight whilst your sitting comfortably on saddle. Make sure not leaning to one side. Also look to draw a plumbline from kneecap down to pedal axle with pedals horizontal Slide saddle along a little if needed. This will give good basic position then can check bar reach. Handlebars should be in line with front hub whilst on the hoods.
Once you've done that you'll probably grow 2 inches and have to start again... :giggle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The heel on the pedal method is a very rough guide to where your position should start. It is not the be all and end all.
As Robert said earlier, those of us with larger or small feet it is pretty much pointless.

Personally, I ride with a small angle in my knee and a large one in my foot, as such there is no way I could get my heel on the pedal but yet i'm still comfortable.

Top Bottom