I've just gone road tubeless - a lot of ups and downs but is it a steep learning curve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
There's a few articles around which test sealants at mtb pressures (e.g. here) but i haven't found any that look at higher pressures. if anyone knows of one I'd like to take a look.
I'd love to do my own experiments (even just to see if the Oko magic milk I've used is any good) but I'm not deliberately putting holes in tyres that have cost me best part of 50 spuds each!
Perhaps I could set up an old wheel and tyre "guerilla style" just to test the sealant (not to ride, obviously).
Hmm....goes off to garage to look at his wheel/tyre stash. I think I've still got a pair of Lithions on one of my bikes - they're tight enough to not pop off the rim at the first oppo!
I'd be interested to know how the Magic Milk performs, I'm using Orange Seal in my ghetto set up at the moment which is quite expensive, but see PX sell MM at a more reasonable price.

Milzy

Guru
I'd be interested to know how the Magic Milk performs, I'm using Orange Seal in my ghetto set up at the moment which is quite expensive, but see PX sell MM at a more reasonable price.
Joes juice is awesome. I have a split in my front MTB tire & it’s still hard after 18 months. You can see a dab of the sealant leaking out.

whippetUP

Tubeless is the way to go for sure. Sometimes the set-up is super easy, sometimes super hard. I guess it's difficult for tyre manufacturers to to match the rim edge depth, sometimes the tyres are too baggy more often these days too tight. If too baggy I put a wrap or two of PVC tape over the more resilient tubeless rim tape. If too tight I use some washing up liquid on the rim tyre to slid it on better. For what it's worth I've found No Tubes, Squirt or Effetto sealant good. To make the valve hole tight, MT ZOOM tubeless valves have a bigger nut than others to compress everything. If there is a small leak often riding the bike seals it up.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tubeless is the way to go for sure. Sometimes the set-up is super easy, sometimes super hard. I guess it's difficult for tyre manufacturers to to match the rim edge depth, sometimes the tyres are too baggy more often these days too tight.
Your description of the challenges suggest that, whilst you may be sure, objectively it's not the "way to go for sure".
You could say "Inner tubes are the way to go for sure. The set-up is always super easy, completely assured, takes minutes at home or at the side of the road. It's easy for tyre manufacturers to produce tyres to fit any rim."
I do not seek to denigrate anyone who tries to make tubeless work on road tyres, indeed I applaud their effort and openness to 'new things', especially those who've ridden on 'normal tyres' (and tubs) for years/decades. And thanks to @mikeymustard (the OP) (and all others) for sharing their experiences.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Your description of the challenges suggest that, whilst you may be sure, objectively it's not the "way to go for sure".
You could say "Inner tubes are the way to go for sure. The set-up is always super easy, completely assured, takes minutes at home or at the side of the road. It's easy for tyre manufacturers to produce tyres to fit any rim."
I do not seek to denigrate anyone who tries to make tubeless work on road tyres, indeed I applaud their effort and openness to 'new things', especially those who've ridden on 'normal tyres' (and tubs) for years/decades. And thanks to @mikeymustard (the OP) (and all others) for sharing their experiences.
That's my view at the moment. Tubeless is a great idea and I'd love it in the future, but the price of full tubeless wheels will have to drop to standard wheel levels and the problems that often occur will need to be ironed out. Until then I just can't be bothered.

D

Deleted member 26715

That's my view at the moment.
Maybe I'm missing something but this to me tubeless cycle tyres seems to be a solution for a problem that didn't exist, tubes have worked for years, tubes with slime in solve the puncture problem, other than saving a few grams (if that) the tubeless cost & faff far outweigh any advantage (if there are any) they bring. But then again I haven't money to throw about & be trendy with the new inventions just for the sake of it.

lane

Veteran
If they roll better and puncture less I think they are a great idea. But at the moment there are too many drawbacks for me.

Mine roll better jury out on punctures not ridden enough to make a judgement. If they do puncture less and the punctures are easy to fix they will be worth it for me. From the point of view of rolling resistance and comfort without doubt the best tyres I have had. No drawbacks for me so far except the cost.

Milzy

Guru
After splashing out on Conti 5000 TL’s every where I go I’m PR on all the segments.
If you don’t care about performance stick to tubes. I appreciate most on here are commuters but there’s a few who are hooked on performance.

Kajjal

Guru
Maybe I'm missing something but this to me tubeless cycle tyres seems to be a solution for a problem that didn't exist, tubes have worked for years, tubes with slime in solve the puncture problem, other than saving a few grams (if that) the tubeless cost & faff far outweigh any advantage (if there are any) they bring. But then again I haven't money to throw about & be trendy with the new inventions just for the sake of it.

That’s what I think as well but for mountain biking rather than road biking they can be more useful.

screenman

Legendary Member

I bet people thought that when they stopped putting tubes in car tyres.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have given up praising tubeless, if is no skin off my nose if people stick to tubes, but it does annoy me a bit when people are put off them by others who have never tried them or don’t have the patience/skill to set them up. It is nice to see that @Racing roadkill is finally happy with his setup, a question for him, if he could only have one setup, would it be tubes, tubeless or Tannus?

Top Bottom