I've just gone road tubeless - a lot of ups and downs but is it a steep learning curve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I bet people thought that when they stopped putting tubes in car tyres.
As I said maybe I'm missing something, @Jody has a valid point about riding MTB softer to get better grip, I used to watch motorcycle trials & they used to run with only a few lbs pressure, maybe I'm just not a dedicated cyclist enough. @Milkfloat I wasn't trying to put people off, I was just saying in my uneducated mind it seems like an invention for inventions sake, I may try them in the future & think they are Garlic bread.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I was just saying in my uneducated mind it seems like an invention for inventions sake, I may try them in the future & think they are Garlic bread.

You never know it could be cheesy garlic bread.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm a bit later to this discussion. My latest bike was fitted with tubeless from new when I collected it last August and has run trouble free since then. I've got 5 day tour in Spain next month and I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to prepare the bike - I'm guessing top up the sealant or anything I should take on the trip. As I won't be taking spare tubes should I take anything instead.
Bare with me if these are stupid questions, I'm a complete mechanical idiot.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If the sealant was added in August, then I would at a minimum check the level (I remove the valve core and poke a dipstick in). Despite running tubeless I still carry a tube and 'anchovies', I am yet to resort to a tube, but I have used an anchovy with great success. On a tour, I would certainly take a tube and scabs, just in case.

wonderloaf

Veteran
If the sealant was added in August, then I would at a minimum check the level (I remove the valve core and poke a dipstick in). Despite running tubeless I still carry a tube and 'anchovies', I am yet to resort to a tube, but I have used an anchovy with great success. On a tour, I would certainly take a tube and scabs, just in case.
Anchovies? Are they to go on the cheesy garlic bread? Funny how this forum always reverts to food, no matter the subject! :laugh:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for the advise, I'll check the sealant level. Funnily enough I have kept the spare tubes and patches in the saddle bag I transferred from my old bike, just out of habit so I guess I'll just leave then there ! Thanks for the tip about the tubeless repair kit, it may be worth carrying one of these as well.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Thanks for the advise, I'll check the sealant level. Funnily enough I have kept the spare tubes and patches in the saddle bag I transferred from my old bike, just out of habit so I guess I'll just leave then there ! Thanks for the tip about the tubeless repair kit, it may be worth carrying one of these as well.
I've got some 1.5mm worms on order from Cycle Clinic, it's the only place I can find the little bitty ones (full kit here)

@Milkfloat who are you calling a dipstick? BTW don't give up praising tubeless, it's largely due to your comments that started me thinking about converting ;)

Milzy

Guru
Don’t forget you can turn easier & safer with the lower pressures gripping more rubber into the road. I’ll never go back to tubes for my best summer bike.

lane

Veteran
+1 Definitely take a tube and some patches just in case

Reviews I have read some people get n fne with the worms some don't. For those that don't dynaplug seem to work extremely well. I would consider Dynaplug for the relatively small extra cost.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Reviews I have read some people get n fne with the worms some don't. For those that don't dynaplug seem to work extremely well. I would consider Dynaplug for the relatively small extra cost.
relatively small? My weldtite kit cost 6 spuds! Still, if it works then it's worth every penny - middle of nowhere is probably not the best place to find out you don't get on with worms (or anchovies, or poo sticks as I've seen one person call them).
There's a review of all the dynaplug products here

lane

Veteran
Relatively small in the scheme of things but admittedly 3 times the cost of the worms. An extra £14. If you can afford tubeless tyres and a trip to Spain it's probably not going to break the bank. In all probability it's going to last a long time as well. I have it as an insurance policy because there are too many reports from people who don't get on with the worms although others find they work well. I can't test the worms until I get a puncture which is not the best time to find out as you say.

relatively small? My weldtite kit cost 6 spuds!
I unfortunately bought the weldtite kit with the huge 3mm anchovies. Since then I have learned 1, Even if a puncture seals, it may not stay sealed. 2, You can still ride home 20 miles without worrying (probably). 3, You may end up with latex sprayed over the bike, legs, shoes every few miles if it does not stay sealed. 4, When home, a spray can lid is ideal for scooping out the remaining sealant when you pop the tyre off and a little meths cleans the inside of the tyre enough to apply a tiptop patch to the hole. 5, refitting tyre may need some co2 to seat the beads to the rim before putting sealant back in. The Genuine Innovations tubeless kit with thinner worms\anchovies is on order. If I had had them, I don't think I would have had to have broken the bead\rim interface. - fixing things at home along with lower pressures is definitely an advantage.

Top Bottom