I've ordered a new ebike 😄

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. My immediate thoughts were "vandal-proof hire scheme bike". It almost looks to have been intentionally designed to be ugly to minimise theft appeal. If I was spending the price of a R & M, I would want vastly better aesthetics and decent rigid forks not BSO-style boingy ones. I'm all for things being utilitarian, but that doesn't have to equate to ugly and ungainly. A big fail in the design department I'm afraid, no matter how decent the electric motor and battery bits might be. The chassis and bodywork is a minger. I've actually seen an R & M that superficially resembles an old-school Ladies heavy roadster, with a loop frame and a woven basket on the front. At a distance I didn't realise it was even an e-bike. It was way easier on the eye than the one posted by the OP, which looks like a cash-in-hand job for a street furniture designer.

I can’t believe you put so much effort into ruining someone’s day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legomutton

I'm afraid I have to agree with this. My immediate thoughts were "vandal-proof hire scheme bike". It almost looks to have been intentionally designed to be ugly to minimise theft appeal. If I was spending the price of a R & M, I would want vastly better aesthetics and decent rigid forks not BSO-style boingy ones. I'm all for things being utilitarian, but that doesn't have to equate to ugly and ungainly. A big fail in the design department I'm afraid, no matter how decent the electric motor and battery bits might be. The chassis and bodywork is a minger. I've actually seen an R & M that superficially resembles an old-school Ladies heavy roadster, with a loop frame and a woven basket on the front. At a distance I didn't realise it was even an e-bike. It was way easier on the eye than the one posted by the OP, which looks like a cash-in-hand job for a street furniture designer.

Well I don't agree, but if I were the OP I might be quite cheered by this. I'm making some assumptions here as I've never knowingly seen or ridden one but if it's comfortable and easy to use, built like a brick outhouse, has a top of the range motor, decent componentry, and works on or off road then I'd love to have one. It certainly wouldn't matter to me that somebody else would rather not have a suspension fork if I did (and I believe it's a decent enough one).

If a potential thief were likely to mistake it for something I'd made myself, that just makes it the perfect 'Q' bike. Just cover the name up to complete the illusion.

I don't buy bikes, or cars for that matter, to show off.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Looks like a decent bike to me.

Not sure of the exact model @jann71 is buying but the air shock will be way better than the coil shock imo (having experienced both on MTB's).

If buying the cheaper version then maybe the dealer could uprate the front shock?

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
Looks like a decent bike to me.

Not sure of the exact model @jann71 is buying but the air shock will be way better than the coil shock imo (having experienced both on MTB's).

If buying the cheaper version then maybe the dealer could uprate the front shock?

The manufacturer spec show the fork as
Suntour Aion, Air, tapered, 100mm; Suntour XCR32 27,5", A

Dirtyhanz2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I realy like it the only thing I dont like is the front suspension forks not sure of how good they are but on a £4000 + bike I would want better if I could afford it's what I would get
Enjoy and have many happy miles

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The manufacturer spec show the fork as
Suntour Aion, Air, tapered, 100mm; Suntour XCR32 27,5", A

I read the text at the bottom of the specifications page and it says that all options are listed.

I think (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) that the clipped text you have there is actually two forks.

The XCR's AFAIK are cheap coil spring forks and I'd want a lot better on a bike at that price tbh.

The Aions again AFAIK were developed for ebikes and is an entirely different, and more expensive, animal.

theloafer

Legendary Member

Mike_P

Guru
I see its got what looks like a wheel 'lock'. I presume its quite heavy so people cannot just pick it up and walk of with it if the wheels are 'locked'.
Doubt that, after all the whole can be carried in its brown packaging by a couple of delivery men so it would not stop a pair of determined thieves although hopefully people might suspect something was afoot and challenge them. I have trusted the built in lock on my ebike twice on its own simply because I have forgot the D lock but needless to say it was very quickly returned to.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I read the text at the bottom of the specifications page and it says that all options are listed.

I think (somebody please correct me if I am wrong) that the clipped text you have there is actually two forks.

The XCR's AFAIK are cheap coil spring forks and I'd want a lot better on a bike at that price tbh.

The Aions again AFAIK were developed for ebikes and is an entirely different, and more expensive, animal.

I think the smallest frame Nevo can come with 26" wheels, in which case you get the cheaper XCR fork.

Looks like the OP is having 650b/27.5" wheels, so will get the Aion fork.

The QLoc through axle is fiddly, but more seriously, is known for rusting in place, possibly due to the steel/magnesium combination.

It's usually possible to knock it out with a drift, although the axle may be destroyed doing so.

In extreme cases the bottom of the legs get damaged, meaning new fork time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IqJD34Ky0

Drago

Legendary Member
The LBS were telling a porky worthy of Boris himself if theyre described a bike with XCR forks as a "Rolls Royce" product.

Heavy, undamped, hateful things. Only use them if you've a real grudge against cycling. The Aion forks are better, but still a Hyundai level product and a planet away from Rolls Royce.

It concerns me that not only do retailers trot out such meaningless drivel, but customers seem to fall for it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You definitely want some suitable anti seize paste on that axle..

Part of the lubing problem is the very snug fit of the axle.

It reminds me of inserting a new piston into an engine block.

Thus any lube on the axle tends to be wiped off by the insertion process.

keithmac

Guru
Part of the lubing problem is the very snug fit of the axle.

It reminds me of inserting a new piston into an engine block.

Thus any lube on the axle tends to be wiped off by the insertion process.

A little paintbrush to apply some inside the spindle and a smear on the axle would be a good start.

Definitely worth 5 minutes to get at least some in there.

Top Bottom